slickmick
MightyEagles
EagleRock
spell_check
9 posters

Go down

Round 2 Review Empty Round 2 Review

Post by spell_check Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:54 pm

The concern that we did not have enough matches during the pre season was alleviated in that last quarter. Although points wise it was our best (42); the telling factor was the straight shooting.

I have the following scorers:
Salter 7.2, Grocke 2.2, Cicolella 2.1, Staple 2.0, Symmons 1.4, Treeby, Cheep 1.1, Goldsworthy 1.0 (one behind missed)

Cicolella is still the elusive one - I only noticed him being tackled one, due to a hospital handball he received. His two goals came at crucial times (after Port scored 6 in a row to take the lead, and another in the last when Port challenged again), and even though he is not the captain, he is certainly an inspiration to the team.
Our twin towers in the forward line worked well in Salter and Grocke - both presenting well and Grocke with his usual chasing prowess.
Grieger was excellent one on one and he very much reminds me of the "stuck like glue" style that Steven Hall had.
But the best for mine, Luke Jarrad. A four quarter effort, never put a foot wrong and saved a couple of goals as well.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Round 2 Review Empty Re: Round 2 Review

Post by spell_check Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:08 pm

The win equals our longest winning streak against Port - 3
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by EagleRock Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:39 pm

Thought Port raised the ante in the second,whilst we took the foot off the accelerator.Our centre square set up in the second was deplorable.No doubt will take a few games to fine tune our new game plan.Thought both our two new ruckman struggled,Hicks just not up it but impressed with Lewis in the second half.Like the look of Thompson and Roundtree can only get better.Ports game style uses a lot of petrol and skill level let them down especially when you throw the ball around as much as they did.
Just glad to get the win in our first hit out.
EagleRock
EagleRock

Back to top Go down

Post by MightyEagles Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:10 pm

Underage results @ Alberton Oval

U16s
Eagles 17.16.118
Port 10.7.67

U18s
Eagles 9.2.56
Port 13.24.102
MightyEagles
MightyEagles

Back to top Go down

Post by slickmick Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:55 pm

Good to start the year with a win.Salter 7.2 good game Whats the chances of winning league leading goalkicking this year?
slickmick
slickmick

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:12 pm

slickmick wrote:Good to start the year with a win.Salter 7.2 good game Whats the chances of winning league leading goalkicking this year?

Will be hard due to him being on the Power list. He did have the best average of goals per game last year. That's more possible this year.

One other thing. If it really is "Fortress Woodville" then at no time should the opposition team song be played. I heard a Port fan sing/hum along to it when it was played before the match today. That's not fortress like.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:20 pm

spell_check wrote:
slickmick wrote:Good to start the year with a win.Salter 7.2 good game Whats the chances of winning league leading goalkicking this year?

Will be hard due to him being on the Power list. He did have the best average of goals per game last year. That's more possible this year.

One other thing. If it really is "Fortress Woodville" then at no time should the opposition team song be played. I heard a Port fan sing/hum along to it when it was played before the match today. That's not fortress like.

I think its a SANFL thing spelly we must play their song.
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:25 pm

I thought the way we started we were going to win big time.
Not certain what happened in the second we just STOPPED!!
I think the move of Miles into the ruck and Hill down back in the third both worked a treat.
Luke Jarrad impressed in his back role .
Cica was an inspiration .
Salter was just Salter.
Grockes tried hard
Staple came into the game when the bald one was moved off him .
Luke Powell played like a Captain.
Seconds game our " PortAFL PLAYERS" played very well,best not mention Jacky. Rimmington looked great .

I hope Welsh comes in next week.
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:30 pm

Mickyj wrote:I think its an AFL thing spelly we must play their song.

Edited for accuracy. Wink
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:32 pm

spell_check wrote:
Mickyj wrote:I think its an AFL thing spelly we must play their song.

Edited for accuracy. Wink

LOL I understand the Eagles complained about Norwood not playing our song and complained they now play everyones song .

AFL SANFL its all the same Wink
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagle014 Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:43 pm

Best players for reserves & league as given by the club:-
Reserves:
1st Corbett
2nd Geddes
3rd Rimington
4th Fitzgerald
League:
1st Luke Powell
2nd Nick Salter
3rd Justin Cicolella
4th Scott Lewis

MVP: Tie between Luke Powell & Todd Miles
Great crowd back for presentation. Good to see some recent past players here for the game - Mark Passador, Brad Dabrowski, David Westbrook.
Eagle014
Eagle014

Back to top Go down

Post by carrots12 Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:45 pm

I think this was a good start for the Club in 2010. We win but the coaches still have a great deal to work on. Thought the rucks were ok with the only time any ruckman dominating when Cloke drifted forward from the ruck.

We shouldnt forget that those guys will get better with experience, our rucks had played 5 games between them I think. When Parry comes back and we can use Guilhaus off the pine we'll be much better.
carrots12
carrots12

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:48 pm

carrots12 wrote:I think this was a good start for the Club in 2010. We win but the coaches still have a great deal to work on. Thought the rucks were ok with the only time any ruckman dominating when Cloke drifted forward from the ruck.

We shouldnt forget that those guys will get better with experience, our rucks had played 5 games between them I think. When Parry comes back and we can use Guilhaus off the pine we'll be much better.

Agree carrots would think Redden will come in nest week .
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:53 pm

heres the sunday mail review
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/eagles-shake-magpies-at-woodville/story-e6freckc-1225849263807

Eagles shake Magpies at Woodville

WOODVILLE-West Torrens showed the value of experience in its fighting 23-point win against Port Adelaide today.

WOODVILLE-WEST TORRENS 5.4 8.6 10.13 17.13 (115)
PORT ADELAIDE 1.6 7.7 10.8 14.8 (92)

BEST - Eagles: Cicolella, Powell, Salter, Jarrad, Treeby, Knights, Lewis. Port: Slattery, Cloke, Summerton, Dolling, Kirkwood, McInerney, Lindsay.
GOALS - Eagles: Salter 7, Staple, Cicolella 2, Treeby, Cheep, Grocke, Knights, Symmons, Goldsworthy. Port: Mercer 3, Clayton, Summerton 2, McInerney, Kirkwood, Carey, Dolling, Slattery, Rose, Erskine.
CROWD 3113 at Woodville Oval

WOODVILLE-West Torrens showed the value of experience in its fighting 23-point win against Port Adelaide today.

Nick Salter booted seven goals but it was the `old brigade' led by Justin Cicolella and Luke Powell who answered every Magpie challenge in the win, 17.13 (115) to 14.8 (92).

The result handed Michael Godden a victory on his league coaching debut and left Port Adelaide's Tony Bamford to rue a missed opportunity at Woodville Oval.

Making matters worse for Port Adelaide was a hamstring injury to skipper James Meiklejohn who left the ground after quarter time.

`'Something we worked really hard on during pre-season was those critical times and that's something they have to take control of, there's nothing I can do from up there,'' Godden said.

`'And the whole group stepped up when it had to step up.''

The hand-ball happy Magpies (205 handballs to the Eagles' 135) threatened to hijack the game with consecutive goals to start the third term but the experience of the Eagles was telling.

Grocke got the first goal of the final quarter and when Lee Staple and Salter followed soon after, it was game over.

To Port's credit, it refused to be blown away and rallied with three late goals but the damage was done.''I thought the last quarter we made some poor decisions,'' Bamford said.

''And our senior players were culprits in that area as much as the junior players.''
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:43 pm

A good start for the A's and B's, both had a bit of a fade out but a win is a win and plenty of room for improvement.
The usual suspects were good - Cica, Salts, Powelly, Jarrad, Treebs & Grockes.
Thought Lewis made a solid start (hard to believe he couldnt get at least one game at the bay).
Guilhaus was good early but seemed to tire by the 3rd qtr,
Stapes seemed a bit lost early but improved as the game went on,
Greiger was solid,
Hilly threw his weight around a bit and did some good things,
Symmo was as good as he has been for a while..kicking at goal let him
down but he looked dangerous.
Milesy was good once he went into the ruck
Thompson looks like he will be a handy player once he settles in,
Broady and Knighta got better as the game went on but Knighta didnt seem to have the same spark as usual,
Gus, Goldy, Cheepy and Hicksy had their moments,
Hoops Hoban just didnt seem to be able to get into the game today...but was up against a couple of pretty experinced opponents and will only be better for the experience.

Rimmo, Corbett and Dawson were good in the Twos, the latter back to the form he showed prior to getting drafted at the end of 08, making even the most mundane piece of play look exciting. Zac Fitzgerald, Aaron Day, Ashley Matz also showed some promise, as did Aaron Killian.
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:04 am

Columbo wrote:A good start for the A's and B's, both had a bit of a fade out but a win is a win and plenty of room for improvement.
The usual suspects were good - Cica, Salts, Powelly, Jarrad, Treebs & Grockes.
Thought Lewis made a solid start (hard to believe he couldnt get at least one game at the bay).
Guilhaus was good early but seemed to tire by the 3rd qtr,
Stapes seemed a bit lost early but improved as the game went on,
Greiger was solid,
Hilly threw his weight around a bit and did some good things,
Symmo was as good as he has been for a while..kicking at goal let him
down but he looked dangerous.
Milesy was good once he went into the ruck
Thompson looks like he will be a handy player once he settles in,
Broady and Knighta got better as the game went on but Knighta didnt seem to have the same spark as usual,
Gus, Goldy, Cheepy and Hicksy had their moments,
Hoops Hoban just didnt seem to be able to get into the game today...but was up against a couple of pretty experinced opponents and will only be better for the experience.

Rimmo, Corbett and Dawson were good in the Twos, the latter back to the form he showed prior to getting drafted at the end of 08, making even the most mundane piece of play look exciting. Zac Fitzgerald, Aaron Day, Ashley Matz also showed some promise, as did Aaron Killian.

Yes Columbo my man Matz in the Two's is looking good .I wonder if wimpy was impressed?
I forgot to mention the dancing girls anyone notice them ?
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:22 am

official game review from the eagles website .Can u pick the mistake I have highlighted it ?
http://www.wwtfc.com.au/footy-match-report.aspx

Match Report

Eagles 17.13 (115) defeated Port Magpies 14.8 (92)

Full Match Results

03/04/2010 Rnd 2
Eagles vs Port Adelaide

By Peter Argent

Michael Godden celebrated his first game as the Senior Coach of the Woodville West Torrens Football Club with a 23-point win over a spirited Port Adelaide.

In total control in the first term of this round two match at Woodville Oval with 9 scoring shots to 1, they were 28 points up at the initial break.

This start would ultimately prove to be difference between the two sides in the end.

While the Eagles controlled the first quarter and a half, a drop off in intensity, and with the Magpies starting to dominate the clearance, an upwards of 5-goal advantage was dwindled to just 5 points at the main break.

Port took the lead seven minutes into the third term and the game was well and truly in the balance at lemons.

7 goals in the last stanza also helped the Eagles get their first two premiership points of the 2010 campaign.

Nick Salter was a great forward target, kicked 3 first half goals, including a pair from free kicks he generated through great tackles. He kicked a further 3 goals in the final term to finish with 7 for the day.

Along with Salter, evergreen veteran Justin Cicolella was superb around the ball, racking up 32 possessions (according to ABC stats guru Chris Kendall) and using his usual creativity. He also pushed forward to kick2 goals including a vital one in the final term.

Scott Lewis, although he made a couple of skill errors was impressive as well in his first game for the Club, while Luke Jarrad drove the ball forward consistently.

Todd Miles was thrown into ruck in the second half and gave his side real drive.

Luke Powell, leading the side in Mark McKenzie’s absence, played with his usual courage and commitment. His example was exemplary.

Adam Grocke presented himself a good target at centre half forward all day as well.

Former basketballer Peter Hoban, second Club players Seb Guilhaus and Ben Greiger and Power rookie Luke Thompson, along with Lewis played their debut games in the Eagles colours.

Next week Woodville West Torrens have a second successive game at home against Norwood on Saturday.
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagle014 Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:25 am

MickyJ I did notice the dancing girls, what a professional group, great routine.
Normally don't take any notice but these girls were so good you had to watch them.
Eagle014
Eagle014

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdOfPrey Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:08 pm

Good to get a win , though it should have been by about 7 goals , we turned the ball over way too many times.

Salter was great again.....how long will we have him??
If Symmons is to play up front can someone please work on his kicking.It's a lucky dip everytime he has a shot.

Good move by God to put Miles into ruck. Things started to swing back our way when he did. Thought Hill did very well when
he went to CHB to replace Miles. Flexability in a side is a good thing as long as the coach uses it.

Very happy with Scott Lewis, esp his attack on the ball, good first game for the club. Also young Thompson looks good. For such a
young kid he has a wise head on his shoulders.

If the new game plan is to play on at all costs, well then I don't like it. In the last qtr when up only by a couple of goals our play on
at all times caused a number of turnovers which gave away goals. For example kicking the ball to Salter at CHF when he had 3 guys on him.
I'm not saying stop attacking, but take a moment and use the ball better and keep control.If we have the ball they cant score.

Look forward to seeing the team develop over the season.
BirdOfPrey
BirdOfPrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:48 pm

Coaches Comments
Rd 2 vs Port Magpies

03/04/2010

League Coach Report

Welcome to the first League report of the 2010 season.

The pre-season for us was certainly a solid one and a lot of work has gone into our physical and mental preparation, but nothing can simulate real games with real pressure. I believe as Senior Coach I selected a team which was a bit tall and therefore our on-ball rotations suffered for that. With that in mind it really showed our players have been well prepared by our fitness staff, because our midfield was rotating about 6 times less than Port per quarter and we ran the game out as well as them and have all pulled up well.

The first quarter started with a bang, our pressure on the ball carrier was fantastic which created plenty of scoring opportunities for us.

The second quarter started ok, but toward the end of the quarter we just stopped running and working for each other. There is no excuse for us to allow Port to kick 5 goals in time on, they obviously played well in that time but we need to react quicker in order to stop momentum and arrest it back. This part of the game is something that we will be focusing on this week to make sure when we put ourselves in a position like that we don’t allow the opposition back in, which ultimately makes it hard on ourselves.

At half time we talked a lot about our stoppages and the skill to not allow your opponent to get goal side of you.

After the break it was a real arm wrestle, to the boys credit their ability to take control of the game again was very pleasing and it shows to me we have some special characters playing for us. It was great to see some of our younger player’s work their way into the game after what I thought was a quiet first half for some of them. We had 5 debutants for the Club on Saturday, they were Peter Hoban, Seb Guilhaus, Scott Lewis, Ben Greiger and Luke Thompson, which is great for the future of our Club. We also had another seven players that have played under 15 games of league footy, so with that in mind I am very proud of the group and the experience gained on Saturday will be invaluable.

As a summary it certainly wasn’t a great game for us, but we did well enough to win and sometimes that’s what you have to do. With a couple of key personnel available for selection this week and a solid hit out under our belt, we are really looking forward to taking on Norwood and continuing to improve as a Club.

Reserves Coaches' Report

It has been a long summer and everyone at the Club was keen to get our 2010 campaign started and having the bye in round 1 only added to the anticipation. So when Saturday’s game finally came around everyone was ready to go. It certainly showed in the early part of the Reserves game as the Eagles boys attacked the ball and the body with real intensity. We did not receive full reward for all our hard work and when Port inevitably fought back in the second quarter and hit the lead our boys faced a real challenge.

It was a good sign for the remainder of the season that at the critical moments of the game it was the Eagles that were making the play and taking the game on. The teams went in about level at half time but after half time our mid field took control and we never looked like losing. We eventually ran out comfortable winners despite Port Adelaide kicking the last three goals of the match.

We had good players all over the ground but our strong on-ball division did the most damage. Tom Corbett, Brad Geddes and James Rimington worked tirelessly all day and were clearly the best players on the ground while in defence Aaron Killian showed some very positive signs with his strong competitive efforts. Up forward Zac Fitzgerald provided an excellent target and his work on the ground showed some of the class we know he has. It was also pleasing to see Glen Dawson return to form with some big marks and a return of six goals.

I am sure our players gained a lot of confidence from this promising win. It has set the bar at a high level for the remainder of the season and I am confident that our boys will take up the challenge starting this week with another home game against Norwood.

Under 18 Coaches’ Report

A disappointing start to the season. Port played with more desperation and intensity than our players and we failed to respond to their challenge.

Fortunately for us they failed to make the most of their opportunities and their inaccurate kicking meant we were still in the game at half time.

We came out after the break and lifted our intensity and work rate and strung 2 unanswered goals to get close, but unfortunately we were unable to maintain this intensity and Port were able to increase the lead to a comfortable margin at 3 quarter time. Our challenge at the break was to make sure this lead did not increase in the last quarter, this challenge was met.

Our 3 best players came from our on ballers. Jake Fairclough, Pat Sinor and Jarrad Brusnahan worked tireless all game. Other solid performers came from our backline who were under constant pressure all day - Braden Cunningham, Tim Broadbent and Tom Schwarz.

We now focus on Norwood at Norwood under lights and will be training to rectify our deficiencies from Saturday so we don’t have a repeat performance.

Under 16 Coaches' Report

In what was our first official game, the Under 16 Team were keen to get off to a good start. Our first 10 minutes were good but unfortunately wasted to many opportunities by foot along with players not paying respect to their Port Adelaide opponent in which the went forward to easy & scored goals on each occasion.

Our second & third quarters in which we kicked 6 & 5 goals were or our best quarters in which we started playing together as a team and using our team mate who was providing the running support by giving the first option.

By 3 quarter time we had the game under control and were able to look at some players in different positions, in what was a good team effort I thought our Backline was very good, in particular Albert Dunstan & Pat Hill, on ballers Joe Sinor & Nick Clift were also getting the hard ball thru the midfield, with 8 goalkickers Matt McDonough kicked 4 goals to compliment his work as a resting forward when not on the ball.

With a mid week game against North Adelaide on Wednesday, rehabilitation, rotation & preparation will be the key to ensure we are competitive against an undefeated team.
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down