Eagles v Norwood 29th August Coopers stadium

+4
spell_check
Columbo
Mara32
Mickyj
8 posters

Go down

Eagles v Norwood 29th August Coopers stadium  Empty Eagles v Norwood 29th August Coopers stadium

Post by Mickyj Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:52 pm

Last minor round game can we affect Norwoods final hopes
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Eagles v Norwood 29th August Coopers stadium  Empty Re: Eagles v Norwood 29th August Coopers stadium

Post by Mickyj Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:29 pm

EAGLES
Woodville-West Torrens will usher back a host of first-choice stars for its final minor round match against Norwood at Coopers Stadium on Saturday.
Co-captain Luke Thompson (foot), small forward Lachlan McGregor (groin) and midfielders Chris Hall (ankle) and Angus Rowntree (thigh) have all overcome injuries to be recalled.
Crafty forward Matthew Raymond (176cm and 70kg) could make his league debut after a string of outstanding performances in the Reserves.
‘’It’s a great story for Matt and the footy club if he plays,’’ Eagles coach Michael Godden said of Raymond.
‘’He was recruited from Division 3 of the Amateur League on the advice of former player Joe Pedler and has really impressed us since he arrived at the start of last year.’’
Caleb Loyd, Joe Sinor and Tom Whittlesea were all unlucky to be sent back to the Reserves.
Star midfielder James Boyd will spend another week in the seconds as he continues to build match fitness from a groin injury.
‘’It was only he his first game back and he was OK last week but we would like to see a bit more of him at this point,’’ Godden said.

League
F: C. Hall, Wundke, McGregor
HF: Lewis, Ainger, Poole
C: Allmond, N. Hayes, Martyn
HB: Goldsworthy, Von Bertouch, Jarrad
B: P. Raymond, Thompson, Giuffreda

R: Borholm, Rowntree, Petrenko
INT: Schwarz, Thurlow, M. Raymond, Appleton, Ellis
IN: M. Raymond, C. Hall, McGregor, Rowntree, Thompson
OUT: Lloyd, Sinor, Whittlesea

Reserves
F: Whittlesea, Muller, Boyd
HF: Press, Dunstan, Minney
C: Sinor, Elsworthy, Batley
HB: Lloyd, Raikiwasa, Templeton
B: Woods, Firns, Summerton

R: Mullins, Haylock, Rowland
INT: Enright
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Eagles v Norwood 29th August Coopers stadium  Empty Re: Eagles v Norwood 29th August Coopers stadium

Post by Mara32 Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:06 am

Very second hand information, and I don't know if its a regular business aspect... But coach Michael Godden was seen suited up at Melbourne airport on Wednesday morning.

Would we read anything into that?
Mara32
Mara32

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:41 pm

Mickyj wrote:Last minor round game can we affect Norwoods final hopes

Yep, pretty good aye ;-)

League and reserves win every minor round game on the road
and the reserves finish 18-0, fantastic effort.

They had 73 more possesions for the day and we still sent them to the Elimination, think the boys will be glad to get back on a wider ground in a fortnight.
It's an interesting place Norwood, for anyone who was there today you will understand.

Now the real stuff starts.
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:07 pm

Columbo wrote:
Mickyj wrote:Last minor round game can we affect Norwoods final hopes

Yep, pretty good aye ;-)

League and reserves win every minor round game on the road
and the reserves finish 18-0, fantastic effort.

They had 73 more possesions for the day and we still sent them to the Elimination, think the boys will be glad to get back on a wider ground in a fortnight.
It's an interesting place Norwood, for anyone who was there today you will understand.

Now the real stuff starts.

If only I could get the entire set of club statistics since they were kept for every club...115 kicks surely has to be the lowest ever total to have a win, and one of the lowest of all time. I know we were credited with 102 in the 2004 GF; that's the lowest I'm aware of for anyone.

In the times the ball actually got loose, I think we were cleaner and looked more dangerous...Norwood did at times as well, but they were never able to score enough after the first quarter. I thought it was a great win, consider that they had that double chance to play for and we were there for the hitout.

We must have Thurlow in the team in the finals...remember what happened to Port in the 97 GF when they only went in with one ruckman? If Borholm goes down during the finals and there's only Ainger as back up, we'd get slaughtered in the rucks.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:39 pm

A nice little quirky stat I thought up of is that Lewis' goal after the siren made the margin 11 points...against South four rounds ago Templeton goaled after the siren to make the margin 11 points.  And in fact, the previous score today was a behind to Persinos; in that South match, a South player also scored a behind as the score before that Templeton goal.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:10 am

Is this the first year we have ever won all away games Spelly?
Any ideas how long since a 2's team has gone thru minor round undefeated? Have we broken a winning streak record in the 2's for the league?

Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mara32 Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:45 am

Eagles won all away games in 2000
Mara32
Mara32

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:11 am

Columbo wrote:Is this the first year we have ever won all away games Spelly?
Any ideas how long since a 2's team has gone thru minor round undefeated? Have we broken a winning streak record in the 2's for the league?

Torrens in 1919 is the only other occasion
21 wins equals the Reserves record which that 1919 season was apart of (Rd 14 1915-Rd 5 1920)
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Reddeer Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:48 am

Norwood have such a lovely lot of supporters.
To the grey haired old "lady" sitting in front of us in the grand stand who was giving the eagles team the two fingered salute as they went from the ground at the end of the game and then accused me of using filthy language when I said to her it was a bad day for Norwood after three losses. Good place to stay away from
Reddeer

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelScott Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:26 am

Do Norwood play a rubbish style or football or what...thought their game plan revolved around congesting the play and turning the game into rugby scrums...when they got the ball in the back lines they would kick the ball back and forwards between each other (accounts for their high disposals) with no intent of moving it forward just wasting time...at least we were able to get a bit of run going for the last 10 minutes....hopefully they get beaten next week and may say a few decent games in the finals
MichaelScott

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:01 pm

Reddeer wrote:Norwood have such a lovely lot of supporters.
To the grey haired old "lady" sitting in front of us in the grand stand who was giving the eagles team the two fingered salute as they went from the ground at the end of the game and then accused me of using filthy language when I said to her it was a bad day for Norwood after three losses. Good place to stay away from

Stopped sitting in those crappy grandstand seats a few years back.
An old man wanted to take me out the back and thrash me in a trial game haha.

And in the outer every time they grabbed our players it was ball. And when we tackled them it was high
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:02 pm

MichaelScott wrote:Do Norwood play a rubbish style or football or what...thought their game plan revolved around congesting the play and turning the game into rugby scrums...when they got the ball in the back lines they would kick the ball back and forwards between each other (accounts for their high disposals) with no intent of moving it forward just wasting time...at least we were able to get a bit of run going for the last 10 minutes....hopefully they get beaten next week and may say a few decent games in the finals

Some of that reminded me of that game against port at alberton our pressure
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:02 pm

Boyd 44 touches in the two's
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:02 pm

Whereas our close -down style of footy has got us into top position, it should be a concern that our own scoring ability that we had earlier in the season has dried up.
Any side that can break the lease for 15 mins and gets a run-on of 5 goals, will make it very hard for the Eagles to "catch" because we're struggling lately to kick 14 goals a game. (Westies showed us on 2 occasions, dominating the last Q of both matches and just running out of time).
Our low scoring abiliy also leaves the other team always with a chance at 3q time, even after we;ve dominated field play for 3Q.
Let's hope we can get our scoring "Mojo" back for the finals.
(Michael Scott, you knock Norwood for their defensive play but we've copied then with only a little more attacking flair)
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagle014 Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:35 am

I was unable to attend same game last year due to illness & had forgotten what the Norwood supporters were like in that Norwood Parade end stand.
It was like being at Alberton where everything involving the opposition team is "ball". In the end I had to make the comment that 'if your player didn't jump into the Eagles player back it might be 'BALL'.
Thank God we have a year off before going back there again!!
Eagle014
Eagle014

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:10 pm

Eagle014 wrote:
I was unable to attend same game last year due to illness & had forgotten what the Norwood supporters were like in that Norwood Parade end stand.
It was like being at Alberton where everything involving the opposition team is "ball". In the end I had to make the comment that 'if your player didn't jump into the Eagles player back it might be 'BALL'.
Thank God we have a year off before going back there again!!

I made this comment last year after the match at Norwood; perhaps not on here.  I yelled out for a deliberate free kick and someone behind goes "it's not a free kick because it was under pressure (or something like that).  Learn the rules" Very next tackle laid on an Eagles player which wasn't going to be a free kick "BALL!" :p
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down