Rnd 8 - 21/05/2011 Eagles v West @ Unleash Solar Oval

+4
Eagleonly
Flash
MightyEagles
Mickyj
8 posters

Go down

Rnd 8 - 21/05/2011  Eagles v West @  Unleash Solar Oval Empty Rnd 8 - 21/05/2011 Eagles v West @ Unleash Solar Oval

Post by Mickyj Mon May 16, 2011 6:47 pm

Eagles need to bounce back this week !!
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Rnd 8 - 21/05/2011  Eagles v West @  Unleash Solar Oval Empty Re: Rnd 8 - 21/05/2011 Eagles v West @ Unleash Solar Oval

Post by MightyEagles Tue May 17, 2011 9:56 am

I believe that it's a triple header this week with the u18s starting first at 8.40 am @ Unleash Solar oval @ Fortress Woodville
MightyEagles
MightyEagles

Back to top Go down

Rnd 8 - 21/05/2011  Eagles v West @  Unleash Solar Oval Empty Re: Rnd 8 - 21/05/2011 Eagles v West @ Unleash Solar Oval

Post by Mickyj Tue May 17, 2011 4:07 pm

MightyEagles wrote:I believe that it's a triple header this week with the u18s starting first at 8.40 am @ Unleash Solar oval @ Fortress Woodville

sure is ill give u a wave
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MightyEagles Thu May 19, 2011 4:21 pm

Don't forget you can bring a mate for free.
MightyEagles
MightyEagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Thu May 19, 2011 6:44 pm

Interesting team

F: Goldsworthy, Tiller, Hentschel
HF: Staple, Grocke, Treeby
C: Allmond, Lewis, Batley
HB: McKenzie, Day, Jarrad
B: Petrenko, Grieger, Giuffreda
R: Parry, Rowntree, Powell
Int: Bock, Stucliffe, Geddes, Rimington, Hill

Ins Geddes Hentschel Sutcliffe
Hill

Outs Stewart (Shoulder) Rayner
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MightyEagles Fri May 20, 2011 9:53 am

A couple to be dropped down to reserves.
MightyEagles
MightyEagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Flash Fri May 20, 2011 2:18 pm

Indeed, it is an interesting team.
Personally, I would have Craig 'Fitzy' in the forward pocket instead of 'Goldie' and Christian Grocke at CHB, instead of Day. Day is an excellent mark, but too soft and low when the ball hits the turf. Also he can only really play in the backline.
It is great to see Brad Geddes back in the team. He always gives 100%
Flash
Flash

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagleonly Fri May 20, 2011 7:51 pm

Congrats to Brad, so happy to see him even running around again.
Go for it big fella!
Eagleonly
Eagleonly

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Sat May 21, 2011 8:55 pm

The Eagles 2010 finals performances were the best football played by the Club in the last 4 years but today's win was the gutsiest effort for a long time - proud to follow a team that shows a "ticker" and some real belief beginning to show.
McKenzie, Jarrad, Powell, Lewis, Parry dragged the team to the finishing line with continuing gut-busting efforts. Goldsworthy stepped up today, Tiller showing a little improvement.
Forwards Grocke, Staple and Treeby were off their game and with little else in attack, they'll need to fire-up quickly.
Brad Geddes showed his class in the first half before the injury curse hit again.
How far away is Nick Salter from playing?
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat May 21, 2011 10:13 pm

Premiers wrote:The Eagles 2010 finals performances were the best football played by the Club in the last 4 years but today's win was the gutsiest effort for a long time - proud to follow a team that shows a "ticker" and some real belief beginning to show.
McKenzie, Jarrad, Powell, Lewis, Parry dragged the team to the finishing line with continuing gut-busting efforts. Goldsworthy stepped up today, Tiller showing a little improvement.
Forwards Grocke, Staple and Treeby were off their game and with little else in attack, they'll need to fire-up quickly.
Brad Geddes showed his class in the first half before the injury curse hit again.
How far away is Nick Salter from playing?

salts told us Friday night he will be back for the sturt game.
I am still stunned we won that game.
Damned if i know who to give my votes to Shocked
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Sat May 21, 2011 10:50 pm

For all I know, we were heading for a 13 point defeat. After the ball went through for a behind to make the margin 7 points with 23 minutes gone, with no momentum, no clear way to win, I thought, that's it.

So I missed it. I heard a massive cheer from the carpark; I assumed West had won then. I didn't want to hear the final scores, so I didn't listen to it on the radio. To come home and find out we actually won, made it an odd feeling for me. A pleasant surprise, but you can probably know how I feel not seeing it.

Oh well, at least that largely shuts the usual f-wits up who love to dig the boots in to anyone and everyone. The Eagles have courage.

You've gotta love West though - how on earth were they top? Is the SANFL that bad? I haven't really rated them to be a serious flag challenger this year and today confirms my thoughts. Without a couple of key players (Fisher mostly), they go defensive. Good news for McKenzie! I knew he would take plenty of marks in the backline, like he did against Norwood. Petrenko and Jarrad were desperate, Jarrad especially for his effort early in the last I think. Petrenko I noticed also in the last try to lift the side by bursting through a few players.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Sat May 21, 2011 10:51 pm

Oh, and Craig Parry - best ruckman in the competition. His game around the ground today was simply a masterclass for any ruck player.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat May 21, 2011 10:53 pm

spell_check wrote:For all I know, we were heading for a 13 point defeat. After the ball went through for a behind to make the margin 7 points with 23 minutes gone, with no momentum, no clear way to win, I thought, that's it.

So I missed it. I heard a massive cheer from the carpark; I assumed West had won then. I didn't want to hear the final scores, so I didn't listen to it on the radio. To come home and find out we actually won, made it an odd feeling for me. A pleasant surprise, but you can probably know how I feel not seeing it.

Oh well, at least that largely shuts the usual f-wits up who love to dig the boots in to anyone and everyone. The Eagles have courage.

You've gotta love West though - how on earth were they top? Is the SANFL that bad? I haven't really rated them to be a serious flag challenger this year and today confirms my thoughts. Without a couple of key players (Fisher mostly), they go defensive. Good news for McKenzie! I knew he would take plenty of marks in the backline, like he did against Norwood. Petrenko and Jarrad were desperate, Jarrad especially for his effort early in the last I think. Petrenko I noticed also in the last try to lift the side by bursting through a few players.

i saw West Destroy Centrals funny ole game football
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat May 21, 2011 10:54 pm

spell_check wrote:Oh, and Craig Parry - best ruckman in the competition. His game around the ground today was simply a masterclass for any ruck player.

U missed him knee the west ruckman in the head at the centre bounce just before we won the game .He got that high spelly !!
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Sun May 22, 2011 11:38 am

A game of chess for 3 quarters, then pretty attacking at the end, just like alot of the recent games against westies really.

6 things that really stood out yesterday -

1. Patty Guiffreda's chase and tackle on Caruso
2. Pup's chase and tackle a bit later
3. Nathan Batley's running gather in front of the coffee van.
4. Paz's leap at the Centre Bounce after Macca's goal...his leg was on the west ruckmans shoulder
5. Pups centre clearance after Paz's hitout
6. Treebs composure to get the handball to Lewie and then that kick!

Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagle014 Mon May 23, 2011 4:46 pm

Decided that we had lost the game by 1 point so I put the final score down - Eags 7.9 Westies 7.10, "O ye of little faith'.
But, the Eagle boys weren't finished. Have watched the last 2-3 minutes 3 times so far.
Paddy's chase & tackle in the first quarter was the best I've seen for some time.
How fortunate are we to have the best ruckman in the SANFL 32 hitouts & his around the ground play is outstanding.
Treebs showed his experience by holding back for a couple of seconds with the handpass just enough for Lewie to be in position to take the ball.
I have one word for that win boys - 'GUTSY'.
Now for Glenelg. Will be great to celebrate another win on Saturday night at our 20th Anniversary Dinner.
Eagle014
Eagle014

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue May 24, 2011 7:03 pm

Lewis the hero for Eagles

A SCOTT Lewis goal with three seconds to go allowed the Eagles to escape with a thrilling five-point win against West Adelaide at Woodville yesterday.

In a backs-to-the-wall performance which has the potential to ignite their season, the Eagles fought back from a seven-point time on deficit to steal a memorable win.

Michael Godden's men led for most of the game, but appeared to have thrown away the game by kicking 0.6 in the third term when they had the breeze.

The Bloods took control in the final term, taking the lead with a Shane Birss set shot at the 18 minute mark.

But the Eagles refused to lay down and have now drawn level with West with a 5-2 record.

It was a defensive game, with both sides playing a loose man behind the ball because of the relatively strong breeze which blew to the southern end of the ground.

Despite the wind both sides played better going against it in the first half.

Without skipper Ryan Ferguson, who missed with the flu, Andy Collins started Brad Moran on Adam Grocke at centre half back.

The Eagles scored first through a Lewis bomb from inside the centre square, but they were largely on the back foot.

If not for the fine defensive work of Brad Geddes and Pat Giuffreda, the Bloods would have taken a lead into the first change.

The Eagles responded in the second term, lifting their intensity around the ball.

Luke Powell and Luke Jarrad took control and the Eagles kept numbers in the corridor forcing two West turnovers which resulted in goals to Phil Raymond and James Rimington.

The pressure began to tell on West and when Jarrad added another the Eagles had established a match-high three goal lead.

Despite having the breeze, Collins sent Jon Beech back to play loose in defence and West responded through Marlon Motlop, who kicked his first goal for the Bloods.

When Daniel Webb, who was well held by Ben Grieger, scrambled a goal early in the third West was back within five points.

Despite losing Mark McKenzie to a finger injury for most of the third quarter the Eagles largely dominated.

But set shot misses from Tiller and Cameron Sutcliffe and two from Adam Grocke kept the Bloods in the game.

West got the first goal of the final term through Shannon Green and was doing all the attacking.

And despite wasting a few opportunities, they were able to take the lead when Jason Davenport nailed a goal from close to the boundary.

The Eagles kept fighting and took back a one-point lead through Matt Goldsworthy's goal.

But Shane Birss found space inside 50m and nailed his set shot to give West the lead before Lewis' late heroics put the exclamation mark on a nail-biting contest.

The Eagles remain in third spot behind West on percentage with a trip to Glenelg up this weekend.

The Bloods must regroup quickly with a Friday night home fixture against an in-form Norwood sure to test them in round nine.

EAGLES 2.1 5.2 5.8 8.9 (57)
WEST 1.1 3.4 4.4 7.10 (52)

Best - Eagles: Lewis, Powell, McKenzie, Jarrad, Goldsworthy, Parry, Geddes. West: Morris, Caire, Ezard, Moran, Birss, Thompson.

Goals - Eagles: Lewis 2; Jarrad, Raymond, Tiller, Rimington, Goldsworthy, McKenzie. West: F. Caruso, Ezard, Birss, Fielke, Davenport, Webb, Motlop.

Injuries - Eagles: McKenzie (finger).

Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down