Eagles35
Headfan
Goddsy11
Columbo
Mickyj
12 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Eagles v Adelaide 23 July Maughan Thiem Kia oval  - Page 3 Empty Re: Eagles v Adelaide 23 July Maughan Thiem Kia oval

Post by whybother Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:35 pm

Surprised about the statement "the treatment of Dan Menzel". From the club news, it appeared it was nice and civilised. Is there a deeper thread to this?
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Eagles v Adelaide 23 July Maughan Thiem Kia oval  - Page 3 Empty Re: Eagles v Adelaide 23 July Maughan Thiem Kia oval

Post by MichaelScott Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:42 pm

whybother wrote: Surprised about the statement "the treatment of Dan Menzel". From the club news, it appeared it was nice and civilised. Is there a deeper thread to this?

He was basically told that he could finish out the season in the reserves but would not be considered for the league team as he announced on his SEN show. Given some of the scrubs playing league at the moment consider it very poor treatment. Can't imagine Troy hanging around next year.
MichaelScott

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:53 pm

I believe there will be a mass exodus at the end of the year with blokes that simply aren't up to league footy or where their best footy is past them. We can't have a complete clean out though or they'll be no one left to don the guernsey. I'd argue Dan Menzel's experience and voice would be valuable to an inexperienced and non functioning forward line for the last part of the season. But I'm sure Sheedy has a plan in place to get us out of our current mire, but he's going to need time.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:07 pm

MichaelScott wrote:
whybother wrote: Surprised about the statement "the treatment of Dan Menzel". From the club news, it appeared it was nice and civilised. Is there a deeper thread to this?

He was basically told that he could finish out the season in the reserves but would not be considered for the league team as he announced on his SEN show. Given some of the scrubs playing league at the moment consider it very poor treatment. Can't imagine Troy hanging around next year.
This is what central’s fans are running with on SA footy 
To me the club needs to recruit big bodied players 
Sheedy may need to play more kids this year
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:21 pm

The Crows are certainly big bodied and our forward line was like land of the midgets yesterday. Even their top up players were big, with the exception of stick man #29 Kappler. Other than Beecken we've lost our ability to break lines, Will Hamill #17 did this well yesterday. Sheedy will continue to invest in the juniors which is a sound strategy.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:32 pm

The Barton wrote:The Crows are certainly big bodied and our forward line was like land of the midgets yesterday. Even their top up players were big, with the exception of stick man #29 Kappler. Other than Beecken we've lost our ability to break lines, Will Hamill #17 did this well yesterday. Sheedy will continue to invest in the juniors which is a sound strategy.

Yep your correct if it was me I’d be going after some of those younger top up players especially the Aboriginal ones if they aren’t drafted or tied to other SANFL clubs 
Our seconds were destroyed by Sturt 
Club needs to do something to improve
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:04 pm

As a general comment and with the exception of Genelg and probably Strut, I feel the standard of the SANFL has dropped a notch in 2023. It's getting harder and harder to keep established players in their mid 20's and above interested and committed to the SANFL given the amount of time they need to invest into the competition for minimum chips. I do fear for the future of the competition given the AFL's attitude towards grass foots footy. Genelg and Strut have been able to keep their core group of key players together and not getting raided mid year like we have has certainly helped. I hope the Crows win it this year so they can both squel.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:03 pm

It’s hard and frustrating watching our proud club play we did on against the Crows but none of us should be surprised.

Shocking recruiting over Summer that didn’t begin to address our clear weaknesses (namely height), untimely injuries to key players, younger players who haven’t ‘come on’ as quickly or impactfully as hoped, departures of disgruntled key players, and unplanned drafting of key players have left the club’s stocks threadbare.

Broadly I would say that we live in a fickle world where success makes it easier for the club to retain talent and attract new talent. Conversely the opposite is also true. The latter is where we currently are and what we are facing and it’s going to be extremely challenging to pull ourselves from this. I don’t think there is a quick fix.

That said, I do think the Club has dropped the ball in the last two years by not doing enough to try and remain at the top by critically examining the existing squad, identifying the clear weaknesses and gaps including in the talent coming through then looking to recruit to fill the holes.

The state of Woodville Oval surface also needs to be addressed over Summer. The bog like condition of the oval must be taxing to train on and to play on every second week. Could this be an input to our high injury count we regularly sustain during training and at matches?

I do think the fortunes of the Club can be rectified and I have every faith that Sheedy and co are up the task but are under no illusions that he probably has the hardest task out of any of the former coaches we’ve had since inception. Unlike previous coaches, Sheedy now doesn’t really an established group of high performing ‘mid-tier players’ who have been with the club for 5-6 years who can support the next group of kids to come through. With expected retirements at season’s end we will be running around with a very young, inexperienced side next season.

So will be VERY interesting to see how we go about turning our fortunes around. Do we rebound in the way Sturt have after losing a lot of their key players in recent times and missing a few years of finals before bouncing back? Or does the club go like Westies post their GF win and wallow in the bottom two the next 6-7 years.

Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:05 pm

We’ll said today The Barton. Great commentary!
Also Titan2 for his valued views.
Back-to-back is rarely achieved. We had the chance last year to do the “triple” (only Sturt and Port?) but lack of planning and no insistence on having a great squad was so disappointing and such a defeatist approach! I don’t think we’ll ever again be in a position to achieve a triple (and more). Not in my life time anyway.
I wish Dan Menzel had been thrown a well-deserved carrot to stay at the Club in 2024 as an experienced and well respected forwards coach. A spin off might have been Troy’s on-going commitment to stay as a mature player among an expected slew of newbies next year. Missed opportunities!
I still say “Trust in Sheedy”! Maybe he can raid some of his old Club’s current list of value players.
I don’t want us to be remembered as the “Covid champions”
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:21 pm

The sad thing about our decline is that a lot of our few supporters, mostly older (just look around at our next game) will drift away. The AFL is the game in town unfortunately. What young players we raise are nowadays just transient, and a feeder club as we seem to have become is just a step on the way, and not a destination. I can't imagine a 200 game player in the future. And the AFL rules dont help when our best players are "drafted" through all the spurious draft opportunities for AFL clubs to mostly player bank just in case they have a player injury.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:50 am

All good comments.
I'm not critical of the Clubs recruitment at all, I believe we have tried and some of the players haven't worked out. Having the Jack Oatey Medalist and Magarey Medalist taken from us in January was always going to hurt and boy it has. We usurped a few clubs in getting Dylan Clarke late in the pre-season as we identified a mid field gap. The mid season dradt has hurt us badly in the last 2 seasons.

This year, while not our strongest recruiting drive, I still thought we had the group to certainly compete for a top 3 spot - as did the senior playing group I might add.
Injuries hit us very hard this year, coupled with a drop off in form of several senior players that I didn't expect. The real test begins now as to what we do in planning for season 2024.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagles35 Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:55 pm

Know this is a different subject but don't know how to create a new topic but does anyone know why the under 16s and under 18's have been moved from today to next Tuesday night instead of a Saturday or a Sunday?? At home
Eagles35
Eagles35

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:18 pm

Eagles35 wrote:Know this is a different subject but don't know how to create a new topic but does anyone know why the under 16s and under 18's have been moved from today to next Tuesday night instead of a Saturday or a Sunday?? At home

Maybe there is less chance of them having a hangover on a Tuesday night??
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagles35 Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:21 pm

[quote="The Barton"]
Eagles35 wrote:Know this is a different subject but don't know how to create a new topic but does anyone know why the under 16s and under 18's have been moved from today to next Tuesday night instead of a Saturday or a Sunday?? At home

Maybe there is less chance of them having a hangover on a Tuesday night

Not on a Tuesday night. Stupid move i say. Families can't watch their sons play if they live in the country.
Eagles35
Eagles35

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:23 pm

Yes, it does seem a little strange but the SANFL does some wierd and wonderful things
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagles35 Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:24 pm

True. Meant if was moved sometime today.
Eagles35
Eagles35

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:29 pm

I think it happened yesterday Eagle35. Joey Sinor hey?
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagles35 Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:31 pm

Not a little bit strange very strange. I hope someone knows why this is. They don't think of us country people the SANFL doesn't it seems.

For example #17 that was on league debut his parents live in YP say if he happens to be drppped back not that he will it would.would be midnight or after if they watched his full game etc they atrend every game so they need to review this issue.

Last edited by Eagles35 on Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Eagles35
Eagles35

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagles35 Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:33 pm

Joey Sinor?? It was up on Sturt's page at lunch time today.
Eagles35
Eagles35

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:08 pm

Just checked the app we are Tuesday the first everyone else on Wednesday 

What was that about Joey Sinor
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:50 pm

Re Menzel, he was cooked. Absolutely the right decision by Sheedy to call that and for Menzel to go play country footy, where he isn’t required to defend or be accountable for his opponent.

I think in general the Eagles players out there can hold their heads up.

We’ve put time in to the following who should all be better players in 2024, have league qualities and could be 100 game players: Litster, D’Aloia, Williams, Beattie, Brinker-Ritchie, Pearce, Mawson, Bruce, Buck and Nicholls.

We build the spirit of the team around the above and I reckon Rowe and Beecken have shown enough to suggest they’ll sit alongside Sinor as the leaders of the club going forward.

We have the following seniors who have been brilliant servants of the club, but are probably done, if not this season, then next: Lonergan, Toumpas, Thompson and Goldsworthy.

Then there’s the group who are good players but haven’t quite delivered the last two seasons and need to decide whether they want to carry the team forward or find somewhere else: Comma, Knight, Ballenden, Cameron, T.Menzel, Rowland, Firns and Lehmann.

There’s McFarlane and Pudney to come back from serious injuries.

There’s Cooke, Lukac and Weckert who you would’ve hope we’d see more of this season and Sladojevic, who is also a bit unknown if he has what it takes. These guys need to be fast tracked if Sheedy thinks they have what it takes, as well as others playing Reserves who show league qualities.

Re recruiting moving forward - McPherson would be a good get, being an ex-Eagle junior. Any chance Ben Jungfer returns? I reckon Matt Crouch will be delisted and will be the number 1 target for every SANFL club.

We desperately need to find at least one key defender and then get more players in that Beattie mould.

I still think Sheedy has the players playing for him and is the right coach to take the team forward.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:54 pm

Aerie wrote:Re Menzel, he was cooked. Absolutely the right decision by Sheedy to call that and for Menzel to go play country footy, where he isn’t required to defend or be accountable for his opponent.

We’ve put time in to the following who should all be better players in 2024, have league qualities and could be 100 game players: Litster, D’Aloia, Williams, Beattie, Brinker-Ritchie, Pearce, Mawson, Bruce, Buck and Nicholls.

We build the spirit of the team around the above and I reckon Rowe and Beecken have shown enough to suggest they’ll sit alongside Sinor as the leaders of the club going forward.

We have the following seniors who have been brilliant servants of the club, but are probably done, if not this season, then next: Lonergan, Toumpas, Thompson and Goldsworthy.

Then there’s the group who are good players but haven’t quite delivered the last two seasons and need to decide whether they want to carry the team forward or find somewhere else: Comma, Knight, Ballenden, Cameron, T.Menzel, Rowland, Firns and Lehmann.

There’s Cooke, Lukac and Weckert who you would’ve hope we’d see more of this season and Sladojevic, who is also a bit unknown if he has what it takes. These guys need to be fast tracked if Sheedy thinks they have what it takes, as well as others playing Reserves who show league qualities.

Re recruiting moving forward - McPherson would be a good get, being an ex-Eagle junior. Any chance Ben Jungfer returns? I reckon Matt Crouch will be delisted and will be the number 1 target for every SANFL club.

We desperately need to find at least one key defender and then get more players in that Beattie mould.

I still think Sheedy has the players playing for him and is the right coach to take the team forward.
Great post Aerie
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagles35 Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:24 pm

[quote="Mickyj"]

The Barton said about Joey Sinor maybe cos I'm Eagles #35 35 is my favourite number
Eagles35
Eagles35

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:35 pm

Eagles35 wrote:
Mickyj wrote:

The Barton said about Joey Sinor maybe cos I'm Eagles #35 35 is my favourite number
 Ahh got it
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagles35 Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:30 pm

Mickyj wrote:
Aerie wrote:Re Menzel, he was cooked. Absolutely the right decision by Sheedy to call that and for Menzel to go play country footy, where he isn’t required to defend or be accountable for his opponent.

Their is or was some interest from Hawthorn on DBR whether its the case or not still i don't know.

Great post Aerie
Eagles35
Eagles35

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next