Titan2
Aerie
wimpy
Goddsy11
Mickyj
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Eagles v Port July 9 Maughan Thiem Kia Oval  - Page 2 Empty Re: Eagles v Port July 9 Maughan Thiem Kia Oval

Post by Goddsy11 Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:03 pm

Great debut by Conner. Could have been a few weeks earlier imho.
I'm not a fan of ruckmen but I think our 2 there worked out well. Redden's best game this year and the deal freed up Firns.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Eagles v Port July 9 Maughan Thiem Kia Oval  - Page 2 Empty Re: Eagles v Port July 9 Maughan Thiem Kia Oval

Post by Mickyj Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:17 pm

goddy11 wrote:Great debut by Conner. Could have been a few weeks earlier imho.
I'm not a fan of ruckmen but I think our 2 there worked out well. Redden's best game this year and the deal freed up Firns.

Spot on Redden beat 3 ruckman and having 2 rucks worked for us
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:13 pm

goddy11 wrote:Need to have a go at the club and SANFL . Why are we playing 3 games at Woodville oval today. Watching the U18, the oval will be chopped up by the start of the main game. Player are slipping over in the U16. The center will be a mess.
I think you will find the council watered the centre pitches on Friday as they were hard as concrete, then the rain came, so the mess.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:38 am

So, three first game players for this year played vs Port. All could have an influence as the season progresses. Ellis-Yolmen a big bodied, seasoned professional will be hugely important. McLeod with his beautiful long kick could add some spark bringing the ball through the midfield that we’ve been missing, especially if he continues from the form he showed in his first game. Guilhaus fills a vital role if we’re missing Redden or Ballenden and whilst being a very attractive man, does his football looking awkwardly effective.

Could Phillipou and/or D’Aloia have an impact at league level after the U18 champs are done, even though spending most of the season playing against other kids in the U18s?

Sheedy still has some jigsaw pieces on the table and this puzzle is proving to be the most challenging one yet. After a few false starts, there is still hope. Every game this season seems to be of serious consequence and none more so than next Saturday at the Bay.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:16 am

Just loved the way the coaching staff went about dismantling port on Saturday. A few positional surprises, especially Rowland on the wing but I thought he played very well. A few bigger, stronger bodies in the forward area helped and our ability to block the ball in created chances. Also "Mercurial Menzel" seemed to have more space to lead in to. Although it took about half the first quarter to get in to gear, our tackling pressure and defence shone. A good win most probably starts with pressure and defence and for just over three quarters we excelled in this area.

Club's Best Players
1) J. Comitogianni
2) D. Menzel
3) R. Knight

Special Mentions:
J. Redden
R. Lehmann
M. Goldsworthy
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:54 am

Zac Milbanks report

A Daniel Menzel masterclass propelled Woodville-West Torrens to a bounceback 60-point victory against Port Adelaide at Maughan Thiem Kia Oval.

Coming off a stinging loss to Norwood in Round 13, the Eagles were sluggish in the first quarter, finding themselves nine points behind at the first change.

But it was premiership star Menzel who stole the show by turning the game in his team’s favour with a sensational seven-goal haul.

The former Geelong goalsneak booted three goals in succession during the second quarter to transform a seven-point deficit into an 11-point lead.

His side then led by 18 points at half-time before opening up a commanding 33-point break by the final change.

The Eagles then regained valuable percentage by piling on 5.3 to Port’s solitary goal – to Taj Schofield – in the final term.

Eagles midfielder Riley Knight collected a game-high 33 disposals, nine marks and a clever left-foot goal along the ground while fellow on-ballers Dylan Clarke (25 disposals) and Joseph Sinor (24 disposals) were also influential.

Rebounding defender Connor McLeod, the son of Norm Smith Medallist Andrew McLeod, had an encouraging debut with 22 disposals while Cameron Ellis-Yolmen tallied 14 disposals in his SANFL return from the QAFL team Labrador.

Port’s Steven Motlop gained confidence from registering 32 disposals and eight clearances while Dylan Williams had 24 disposals in his new role across half-back.

Father-son prospect Harper Montgomery, the son of Power premiership defender and assistant coach Brett Montgomery, had 17 disposals on debut while ruckman Scott Lycett returned from a lengthy spell with 16 disposals, five clearances and a goal.
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:58 am

Any update on Troy? Is Allmond injured. Cant see him on the reserves list.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:45 pm

For all the game time that we have got from him, he may as well be back at NA. I hope that we are not paying him too much.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:46 pm

Not Troy, Allmond.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:09 pm

whybother wrote:For all the game time that we have got from him, he may as well be back at NA. I hope that we are not paying him too much.

Didn't hear any complaints when we recruited Allmond, played state footy the year before, it's easy to complain after the event. Football is all about hits and misses and we haven't had too many misses in the last few years. If you don't take chances you'ii get no where, just look at the Crows.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:36 pm

wimpy wrote:
whybother wrote:For all the game time that we have got from him, he may as well be back at NA. I hope that we are not paying him too much.

Didn't hear any complaints when we recruited Allmond, played state footy the year before, it's easy to complain after the event. Football is all about hits and misses and we haven't had too many misses in the last few years. If you don't take chances you'ii get no where, just look at the Crows.

I'm ok with Nuttsy. Had injury and Covid issues. He maybe has not performed like we remember him but he hasn't been terrible. Will come good.

After a tough start yesterday , it was an impressive performance yesterday to hold a fairly strong side to 4 goals. We have a few big name injuries and the boys showed strength especially after a down period the last few weeks..
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:44 pm

Don’t mind the recruiting of Allmond, but as it stands he’s definitely not in the best 22 and I don’t see that changing any time soon. However, it’s a different ball game when the warmer weather hits and we play on the better surfaces. Hopefully he sticks at it. He’s probably in a similar boat to Goldsworthy. Age has caught up with them somewhat, but Goldsworthy has still found a way to contribute.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:08 am

I think you'll find Allmond having a few weeks off for a "reset".
We'll see how he comes back but maybe the game has passed him by and the youngers coming through may have more to offer.

Last edited by The Barton on Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:35 pm

Injury report

Troy Menzel
Knee
TBC
Sam Nicholls
Ankle
TBC
Dane McFarlane
Hamstring
3-4 weeks
Clay Cameron
Quad
4-5 weeks
Deakan Jackson
Shoulder
3-4 weeks
Connor Ballenden
Ankle
Test
Jimmy Toumpas
Calf
Test
Mitchell Mead
Hamstring
1-2 weeks
Tyran Hill
Hamstring
Test
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:12 pm

I'd suggest it's season over for T. Menzel.
Hope I'm wrong.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:46 pm

The Barton wrote:I'd suggest it's season over for T. Menzel.
Hope I'm wrong.

12 months according to Bonz on Eagles radio tonight.
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:37 pm

Columbo wrote:
The Barton wrote:I'd suggest it's season over for T. Menzel.
Hope I'm wrong.

12 months according to Bonz on Eagles radio tonight.

Bugger - Troy adds some X Factor to our side
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:35 am

Yes, Troy has been excellent value the past 2 seasons and has played well since coming back despite the knee being a concern from that LARS operation earlier in his career. Hopefully he can get back with a stronger knee in 12 months.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2