Columbo
Gazz
Mickyj
11 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Grand final 2021  - Page 2 Empty Re: Grand final 2021

Post by hawke Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:04 am

Respecting Sheedy as the good coach that I think he is, he can make the "hard call" and choose his best, not based on emotion.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:23 pm

Grand final 2021  - Page 2 Gf_pos14
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:12 am

Any news from this mornings training run ?
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazz Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:29 am

Giuffreda , Hayes and Stengle did very little in what was a light session. The lads looked to be enjoying the build up and were very relaxed
Gazz
Gazz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:29 pm

Gazz wrote:Giuffreda , Hayes and Stengle did very little in what was a light session. The lads looked to be enjoying the build up and were very relaxed

Hoping that's precautionary. All key players.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by eaglesman Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:14 am

Excited to be going to the Grand Final today. We are in this with a big chance, I think that the rest last weekend will have really helped the players recover from two close hard-fought finals. Hope we can get off to a really good start, and also kick straight for goal!
eaglesman
eaglesman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:34 am

I’m excited going to the GF
On Twitter I think channel 7 caller has posted its 68 years to the day the last west Torrens win of a GF could be a good omen
Play well guys like it’s your last ever game
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:08 pm

So proud of the boys today. 4 quarters of pressure football. We won every position on the field.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:18 pm

I’m so happy for the team totally smashed Glenelg everywhere our defence held strong
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:43 am

There's just a couple of things I'm going to highlight here...so much admiration for what Sheedy has done, these past two seasons are basically have been like the Dogs and Magpies of old!

Irrespective of the margin, this has to be the most crushing victory out of the 5...to defeat the minor premiers by 67 points; only 1989 has there been a greater margin.  Their lowest ever finals score...amazing to think I had some doubts after losing Goldy and they having Partington.  Instead, to quote that quote "Never In Doubt"!
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:45 am

spell_check wrote:There's just a couple of things I'm going to highlight here...so much admiration for what Sheedy has done, these past two seasons are basically have been like the Dogs and Magpies of old!

Irrespective of the margin, this has to be the most crushing victory out of the 5...to defeat the minor premiers by 67 points; only 1989 has there been a greater margin.  Their lowest ever finals score...amazing to think I had some doubts after losing Goldy and they having Partington.  Instead, to quote that quote "Never In Doubt"!

It all gets down to planning, picking the right players, playing as a team and having the best WT/EAGLES Coach ever.

We are sooooooooooooooo lucky to have such a sensational coach.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:48 am

wimpy wrote:
spell_check wrote:There's just a couple of things I'm going to highlight here...so much admiration for what Sheedy has done, these past two seasons are basically have been like the Dogs and Magpies of old!

It all gets down to planning, picking the right players, playing as a team and having the best WT/EAGLES Coach ever.

Makes me wonder why he Eagles and another team said no to Sheedy a year before we signed him
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:42 am

Happy reading

Woodville-West Torrens win 2021 SANFL Grand Final over Glenelg by 67 points
Woodville-West Torrens has thrashed favourites Glenelg for the SANFL premiership, restricting the Tigers to just four goals in a one-sided match.
Woodville-West Torrens has won consecutive SANFL premierships for the first time, sensationally thrashing warm favourite Glenelg by 67 points in the grand final at Adelaide Oval on Sunday.

The Eagles, who fielded 10 different players from last year’s grand final team, rode brilliant first quarters from the Menzel brothers, Daniel and Troy, to open up a three-goal lead and then ripped the minor premier apart in the second half.

With state captain Jack Hayes leading from the front and winning the Jack Oatey Medal as best afield, the Menzels kicking seven goals between them and a tough, no-nonsense defence restricting the Tigers to only four goals, a game that promised so much turned into a one-sided affair.

It was the Eagles’ fifth flag since the amalgamation of West Torrens and Woodville at the end of 1990 while the margin was the biggest in a grand final since the Eagles beat Central District by 76 points in 2006.

Glenelg’s 4.8 was the lowest grand final score since North Adelaide booted the same score against Norwood in 2013.
Displaying more class, composure, toughness and a better structure than the Tigers, who won their first 17 games this season and entered the grand final with an 18-2 win-loss record, the Eagles’ superb off-season recruiting paid big dividends.

Key pick-ups, the Menzels, Riley Knight (27 disposals, eight clearances, 10 tackles) Tyson Stengle (three goals) and Kobe Mutch (26 disposals, 11 tackles, two goals) were all influential on the big stage as coach Jade Sheedy, a Magarey Medallist with Sturt, led the team to back-to-back flags in his first two years as coach.

It was the first time a second semi-final winner had won the premiership since 2014.

The result was a disaster for Glenelg, which went within victory in the final minor round of completing the first undefeated home-and-away season since Port Adelaide in 1914.

Celebrating their centenary year, the Tigers won the reserves and women’s premierships but after the opening 15 minutes against the Eagles they looked completely rattled.
After kicking two of the first three goals, Glenelg, chasing a second flag in three years, looked clueless, saving its worst performance of the season for last.

It played without any system and made one comical error after another in an embarrassing display following a superb home-and-away season.

In the first grand final meeting between the clubs, Glenelg fielded 11 2019 premiership players while the Eagles featured 12 members of last year’s flag side.

Magarey Medallist James Tsitas threw his weight around as the teams lined up for the opening bounce, sparking plenty of pushing and shoving.

The Tigers, with 2019 Magarey Medallist Luke Partington back in the side after missing the losing second semi against the Eagles with a hamstring injury, won the first clearance and dominated the early exchanges, recording six of the first seven inside 50s.

It took a clever piece of roving close to goal from retiring Tiger Marlon Motlop to chalk up the first major.
But after stemming the territorial tide, Daniel Menzel quickly turned the game on its head, breaking clear of opponent Max Proud to kick two goals in five minutes.

When his brother Troy got into the act to kick two himself and Stengle bobbed up with his first, the Eagles were out to an 18-point quarter-time lead.

The Tigers were getting their hands on the ball but with key forwards Liam McBean, Luke Reynolds and Lachie Hosie well held and kicking only one goal between them for the game, they trailed by 23 points at the long break, despite leading the inside 50 count 28-23.

The match was all over as a contest nine minutes into the third term when Angus Poole, Hayes and Mutch hit the scoreboard, stretching the Eagles lead to seven goals.
EAGLES 5.2 6.2 10.5 15.9 (99)

GLENELG 2.2 2.3 3.4 4.8 (32)

BEST – Eagles: Hayes, Knight, D. Menzel, Mutch, Redden, Stengle, Toumpas, T. Menzel. Glenelg: Snook, Turner, Landt, Partington.

GOALS – Eagles: D. Menzel 4, T. Menzel, Stengle 3, Mutch 2, Poole, Hayes, Comitogianni. Glenelg: Motlop. Hosie, Turner, Allen.

INJURIES – Glenelg: Martini (ankle).

UMPIRES – Bryce, Bowen, Harris.

CROWD – 22,956 at Adelaide Oval.

JACK OATEY MEDAL: Jack Hayes (Eagles).

A crowd pleaser as Eagles soar
- Lydia Kellner

The Woodville-West Torrens colours will soar over Torrensville this week after a convincing 67-point defeat of Glenelg in the SANFL grand final at Adelaide Oval on Sunday.

The Eagles’ blue, green and gold will adorn the chimney of the Brickworks shopping centre from Tuesday, marking a back-to-back win for the “community minded” team.

The traditional chimney stack display at West End’s Thebarton brewery was cancelled due to the factory’s closure in June.

In Sunday’s grand final, the Eagles set the tone early on, taking an 18-point lead at the first quarter.

Eagle domination continued for the remainder of the game – much to the delight of their fans, who could not contain their excitement at the back-to-back premiership win.

Almost 23,000 spectators attended Sunday’ grand final, 6000 more than last year.

SANFL chief executive Darren Chandler said the victory came at the back of a “terrific” footy season.

“It’s a great celebration of what has been a terrific year given the circumstances,” he said.

“Woodville-West Torrens is a great footy club. They won it last year and their football club is just run really well.

“They are also very community minded and do a fantastic job … but both clubs … deserved to be out here.”
Longtime Eagle supporter Kerry Ashwin was among the many fans cheering from the sideline and was looking forward to celebrating the win at Woodville Oval after the game.

“I’ve been a supporter all of my life,” she said.

“It’s the team my mum and dad went for when I grew up, so even as a kid, I used to go to the football with them every Saturday.

“These days I don’t go to as many games any more because it’s a little harder to get around but that’s why today is so special.

“There was no way I was going to miss the grand final, no way, as I just love (the game).”

For Bernadette Gersbach, Sunday’s grand final was a family affair.

She attended the game with her husband Jarred and children Lewis, 9, and Willow, 5.

“We’ve been longstanding supporters for over 10 years. It’s nice to see a community minded club surviving Covid, so it’s really nice to be here today and to support the team,” she said.

“This is really exciting and something that we love to share with the kids.”

Also ready to party was seven-year-old James Mowday who perhaps summed up his team’s winning spirit the best.

“I like that they never give up,” he said.

Despite barracking for the losing team, Tigers supporter Renee Groffen made sure she stood out from the crowd.

With a strong family connection to Glenelg – her grandfather formed part of the Smedley press dynasty – Ms Groffen said Sunday’s grand final was all about having fun and giving back to the community.

“I dressed up in 2019 and see it as a bit of a performance as I’m a belly dancer,” she said.

“So I make myself do it to have a bit of fun and support the community.”

Also making an impression was Tigers supporter Brenton Kane, who came dressed for the occasion in a black and yellow checkered suit.

But it was the man behind the mask of Tiger Tail, the official mascot of Glenelg, who, despite his team’s loss, went home with a major childhood dream fulfilled.

“When we started the season, I said to the girl who does the marketing for Glenelg that if the Tigers made the grand final, that I wanted to be the mascot,” he said.

“So here we are. Win or lose, it’s been a childhood dream of mine to represent Glenelg as its official mascot.”

Local Footy SA Newsletter
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/local-footy-sa/sanfl/woodville-west-torrens/woodvillewest-torrens-win-2021-sanfl-grand-final-over-glenelg-by-67-points/news-story/3f7904d75799f548ef64139313e4abef
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:59 am

Grand final 2021  - Page 2 2021_g10
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:17 pm

When they mentioned Jack was doing a fitness test who would have guessed this

STAR Eagles key forward Jack Hayes won the Jack Oatey Medal on a broken leg.
The state captain revealed he suffered a small crack in his left tibia at training on
Wednesday night but refused to miss the grand final before producing a best-onground performance.
Hayes played with his left leg bandaged after teammate Clay Cameron fell on him
during a training drill.
His only training after the injury, which will be scanned after the Eagles’
premiership celebrations in the next few days, was a gentle lap of the centre square
at Woodville Oval at the captain’s run session on Saturday morning.
“I got a little knock on Wednesday night but it’s all sweet now, nothing to worry
about,’’ Hayes said in the jubilant Eagles changerooms after the 67-point demolition
of Glenelg.
“It was a bit unfortunate but I got through all right.’’ He did better than that, starring
with 26 disposals, nine marks, seven clearances and a goal to be voted a unanimous
best afield.
The 25-year-old polled the maximum 27 votes from the nine judges to beat
nextplaced teammates Riley Knight on 11 and Kobe Mutch on seven.
“I wasn’t too worried about the injury at the time of the incident but the day after I
was,’’ Hayes said.
“I didn’t have a great training preparation and it was pretty sore on the morning of
Jack Hayes celebrates as the Eagles pour on the goals at Adelaide Oval.
the game but I had a few painkillers, which helped, and we ended up winning, so it
doesn’t matter.
“I was always going to play but there was talk about changing my role and perhaps
playing more forward (rather than helping Jarrad Redden out in the ruck) but once
the adrenaline kicked in I couldn’t feel it.’’ While Hayes awaits further scans, club
doctors diagnosed him with the “small crack’’ in the tibia, breaking the bad news to
coach Jade Sheedy.
Hayes described winning the Jack Oatey Medal as “an absolute honour’’.
“Obviously a lot of great players have won this before me, so it is a great honour,’’
Hayes said
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:49 pm

I’m still on cloud 9
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:33 pm

Mickyj wrote:
wimpy wrote:

Makes me wonder why he Eagles and another team said no to Sheedy a year before we signed him

I think you will find Sheedy ran second to Stone for the Glenelg job. Stone got the job because of his AFL experience and he did get them a premiership.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:36 pm

wimpy wrote:
Mickyj wrote:
wimpy wrote:

I think you will find Sheedy ran second to Stone for the Glenelg job. Stone got the job because of his AFL experience and he did get them a premiership.
fair enough
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:09 pm

Just read Jungfer leaving on Talking Footy. Where is he going. Best of luck to Paddy and VB. Is Poole also leaving. Massive loss if yes.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:32 pm

goddy11 wrote:Just read Jungfer leaving on Talking Footy. Where is he going. Best of luck to Paddy and VB. Is Poole also leaving. Massive loss if yes.

I saw that to not sure if the poster is correct or not . In the rumour file he said Almond is a definite player coming back from north Adelaide. And another poster said Sam grey is coming to us .
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:38 pm

Mickyj wrote:
goddy11 wrote:Just read Jungfer leaving on Talking Footy. Where is he going. Best of luck to Paddy and VB. Is Poole also leaving. Massive loss if yes.

I saw that to not sure if the poster is correct or not . In the rumour file he said Almond is a definite player coming back from north Adelaide. And another poster said Sam grey is coming to us .

Gray.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:42 pm

goddy11 wrote:
Mickyj wrote:

Gray.
oops it’s like people sticking an S on the end of my surname not good or correct my mistake
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:06 pm

So if rumours are worth listing from other sites, we have:
1. Poole and Guiffreda retiring to play country football with VB
2. Rumour of delisted exPower/Swan Sam Gray to Eagles, but I may have prompted that by simply suggesting he might be available.
3. Jungfer to retire to working on a cattle station in WA.
Now all of this stuff may be absolute rubbish. But while the coach and players rightly celebrate a magnificent achievement, for Luke Powell and Co, the pressure is on again for next year's recruiting. (already Glenelg website is claiming a gun recruit).

hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:35 pm

hawke wrote:So if rumours are worth listing from other sites, we have:
1. Poole and Guiffreda retiring to play country football with VB
2. Rumour of delisted exPower/Swan Sam Gray to Eagles, but I may have prompted that by simply suggesting he might be available.
3. Jungfer to retire to working on a cattle station in WA.
Now all of this stuff may be absolute rubbish. But while the coach and players rightly celebrate a magnificent achievement, for Luke Powell and Co, the pressure is on again for next year's recruiting. (already Glenelg website is claiming a gun recruit).

And Luke Thompson said on the news we may have some retirements not many and he thinks less players to be drafted . On 7 news tonight .
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelScott Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:42 pm

Given that Rucci announced on SEN at end of last year that Gray was playing for the eagles if not redrafted by swans then it would have to be a big chance of happening.
MichaelScott

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next