spell_check
zest
LoudEagleHooligan
Aerie
Mickyj
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

1st Semi Final  Eagles v Glenelg, Sunday 19th September, 12:10pm at AAMI Stadium  - Page 2 Empty Re: 1st Semi Final Eagles v Glenelg, Sunday 19th September, 12:10pm at AAMI Stadium

Post by Eagle014 Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:40 am

Thanks again boys. I thought last week was a bonus to finish off the year, but this week - still waiting for it to sink in.
The voice is on the way out again but who cares.
Unfortunately the win came at a cost, no Treebs or Lewie next week, Trent a possibility, depends on how the hamstring comes up. Gods told us he had spoken to Jarrad Redden & all was OK, Todd Miles could also be available.
Four best players from presentation last night:
1st - Allmond
2nd - Powell
3rd - Jarrad
4th - Parry ( as mentioned on another site "thanks Ron")
Our 18's are playing at 9.10am next Sunday. Early start but get down to footy park & show your support for these kids, believe me it's worth the effort, they are playing great footy.
Eagle014
Eagle014

Back to top Go down

1st Semi Final  Eagles v Glenelg, Sunday 19th September, 12:10pm at AAMI Stadium  - Page 2 Empty Re: 1st Semi Final Eagles v Glenelg, Sunday 19th September, 12:10pm at AAMI Stadium

Post by zest Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:53 am

This was the game you could be proud of for the club, even if we dont win next week its been a great year and more than you could expect.

surviving with all the injuries during the game showed how much heart and guts the player have.

i'll even admit that i was wrong about cheep, he was great, he was the sixth guy on my list for votes just couldn't fit him in.

As i said to Mickyj the style we played was the right balance of the tackling and defensive work of rons style of play and the attacking fast ball movement of god's game plan.

It took a year to get it right but its starting to gell with the players. Plus the bonus of the last two weeks was we looked quick, which was surprising as we haven't all year. as we burnt glenelg off on numerous occasions.

The biggest surprise of all was that redden showed alot of thoughness putting his head over the ball, more things like that next year and he will cement himself in the side either as a ruckman or a key-forward.

Would expect Daniel to come for Lewis next week and McMahon/Goldsworty/Raynor to come in for treeby.
zest
zest
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:01 pm

To Zest,
On the question of speed over the past few weeks, it's coincided with Polec and Smith playing together - adds real pace. Under Ron's plan, players weren't allowed to run and bounce through lines and I can understand some merit in that when the leading forwards can be drawn out of position - but the new license to bounce and carry adds some unpredictability to see Luke Thompson take them on with bounces out of the backline and Smith Polec and Jarrad burning them off and then finishing off with a good kick.

Wouldn't be surprised to see McKenzie added to our weakened, inexperienced midfield with Welsh taking over McKenzie's CHB position and Stuart Hill being a surprise selection to replace Welsh in the forward pocket
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:04 pm

Premiers wrote:To Zest,
On the question of speed over the past few weeks, it's coincided with Polec and Smith playing together - adds real pace. Under Ron's plan, players weren't allowed to run and bounce through lines and I can understand some merit in that when the leading forwards can be drawn out of position - but the new license to bounce and carry adds some unpredictability to see Luke Thompson take them on with bounces out of the backline and Smith Polec and Jarrad burning them off and then finishing off with a good kick.

Wouldn't be surprised to see McKenzie added to our weakened, inexperienced midfield with Welsh taking over McKenzie's CHB position and Stuart Hill being a surprise selection to replace Welsh in the forward pocket

Not to mention players kicking goals that have bounced through .Something Ron would have dragged players for.
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zest Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:08 pm

hill cant get a kick in the reserves at the moment so i hope hes not selected, saying that none of our tall reserve forwards are looking good. If miles comes up, they might play him at CHB or redden at FF
zest
zest
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:10 pm

zest wrote:

hill cant get a kick in the reserves at the moment so i hope hes not selected, saying that none of our tall reserve forwards are looking good. If miles comes up, they might play him at CHB or redden at FF

Would we need to play BIG RED at FF if Salter gets in ?
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zest Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:35 pm

Mickyj wrote:
zest wrote:

Would we need to play BIG RED at FF if Salter gets in ?

no, but i wouldn't hold you breath
zest
zest
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:24 pm

Michael Godden – Senior Coach Report

1st Semi Final – Eagles vs Glenelg

I think you would all have to agree at the 20min mark on Sunday it wasn’t looking all that good, but to the players credit they increased the intensity on Glenelg which enabled us to get some critical turn-over’s and capitalize with some scoreboard pressure right on the quarter time siren. From the first break onwards things worked out pretty well for us, our structures held up and at times our ball movement was very good. As I said to the players the structures I have implemented can only work if they are prepared to do the hard yards with the more basic things in football. This area of the game is always the starting point for any final, and if you do the hard things well the rest of the game will take care of itself.

One really pleasing aspect is the player’s ability to run out games at this time of year, credit must go to our medical and fitness staff for the programs they have in place. Credit also must go to the players, because they have worked very hard on their individual preparation which at the moment is paying off.

One thing I have wanted to develop this year is an evenness of performance from all players, so in the event that we get major personnel changes we can adapt quickly and whoever comes into the side will play their role in order to get team success. This area of our clubs makeup will be tested this weekend with the unfortunate loss of so many of our main contributors this year in Scott Lewis, Leigh Treeby, Jarrad Redden and possibly Trent Hentschel. But with disappointment for some comes opportunity for others, and whoever may come in to the team they certainly would have earned their spot and deserve a chance.

This weekend’s game puts us up against another different style of play, which is always exciting to see if our style can prevail. One thing is for sure the playing group is extremely focused and ready to get out there on Sunday and continue what they have started. Last weekend‘s game is now finished and we need to be focused on ourselves once again so we can earn the right to get to the season decider.

It was great to see all the support the players had on Sunday. We really look forward to all of your support again this weekend as we try to keep this season alive and give all of our loyal supporters something to be really proud of.

Craig Smith – Reserves Coach Report

1st Semi Final – Eagles vs Central Districts

The last match report is always the hardest to write. This is particularly the case when the weekend was so positive for the other teams within the Club. The Under 18’s had an outstanding win, and the League on Sunday showed what a committed, urgent and talented group can do. Unfortunately the Reserves were unable to bring their best to the final series this year.

As I mentioned last week we got very close to Port Adelaide without really playing our best football and the same could be said for this week. There were times when we were clearly on top, but our poor skill execution under pressure and some bad decision making enabled Central Districts to stay in the game until three quarter time.

With the scores level at three quarter time the season was in the balance, and in the last quarter it looked like we may just get there, but to Centrals credit they ran away with the game in the final fifteen minutes to run out convincing 5 goal winners.

Obviously it is a disappointing finish but the season overall had many positives. I said to the players after the game that we at times looked like a team without a plan and for this I accept full responsibility. I just hope that the players learn (as I will) from this finals experience and in particular our younger players improve their understanding of what is required to be consistently successful at this level. I also hope that they store this disappointment away and that it helps drive them in the pre season that will be here before they know it. You get what you deserve in football and we certainly paid for the sins of our season.

On a positive note we have seen some very good performances in the Reserves this year. Some of our outstanding under age players have gained valuable exposure and experience in senior ranks and several of our players who at times were struggling a little have found ways to hit good form in the reserves and make valuable contributions in the league when they have been recalled. While losing provides great disappointment we should never loose perspective on the learning experiences gained in the reserves.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the entire Eagles community for their support throughout the year. To our families, the back room staff, the board, the other members of the coaching staff and supporters, the players and I thank you for your hard work and support of the cause.

Finally I would like to wish the League and Under 18’s the best of luck for this weekend. I am confident that both teams will give their all with a chance to play in a Grand Final on the line.

Terry Hutton – Under 18’s Coach Report

1st Semi Final – Eagles vs Port Adelaide

The 1st half was a tight hard scramble to gain the upper hand. Nerves were very evident. The Eagles kicked with the breeze but failed to take full advantage. Individual efforts were very good but the team work lacked precision and sound decision making. Sinor cleared strongly from the centre at the opening bounce after a free was awarded. Toumpas on the wing marked well then kicked accurately to Von Bertouch at RHF. His kick for goal just shaved the post. Port ran the ball quickly to their forward line where strong spoiling saved the day. Appleton tackled firmly on the HBF to cause a ball toss. He followed up with a strong mark and kick to Hobbs at CHF. We scored our 1st goal from a free kick for Port deliberately punching the ball through the goal area, Overall the tackling was very good but we couldn’t put sufficient running plays together. Elfenbein took advantage of being included in this side with his strong rebounding, tight checking, spoiling to the boundary and chase of opposition. Captain Brusnahan mopped up on the back line and drove to Hobbs who marked in the centre of the ground. All day Mansell was clean with his take off the Back line and placed the ball to advantage. Great spoils to effect turnovers.

The 3rd quarter saw Eagles get on top. Positional changes were made and space opened up in the forward line which would be dominated by Von Bertouch, Harding and Summerton. Within minutes Von Bertouch Goal 4. .Joyce was picking up touches in the centre, gave to Appleton onto Fairclough then to Harding onto Von Bertouch for Goal 5. Summerton took a strong mark who passed it onto the speedy Batley. Harding marked 50m out who kicked truly for Goal 6. L. Dunstan marked then kicked accurately to Appleton then to Von Bertouch for Goal 7. Von Bertouch snapped Goal 8 from scrimmage in the goal square. Schwarz worked hard over the ball and scored Goal 9 from a free kick. Goal 10 came from a very strong mark by Von Bertouch. A fight occurred on the HFF from an ugly tackle by Port who all came in. The umpires cleared the play by giving the Eagles a free kick in the goal square for Goal 11. BUT again little errors crept into our game. Easy frees were given holding onto the opposition after disposal, no one spoiled strongly in the Port goal square to force the ball over the line thus allowing them to score their Goal 5. Batley needed to make decisions quicker, to attack the contest with more determination.

The 4th quarter saw Port score quickly in the opening minute due to a free, quick kick forward and Port players running onto the loose ball. Another goal came from a scrimmage and a Port quick snap. Goss steadied the game with 2 good marks and accurate kicks for Goal 12 and 13. Von Bertouch was able to put through goal 14 and Summerton Goal 15. But Port energised themselves and with the wind at their back came storming home scoring 7 goals in the last quarter. Much of the play was in the Port half and the Eagles got back quickly to steady. Man on man play was evident. Muller shared the rucking duels with Goss, battled valiantly but had limited time on the field. Cashel also found it hard to get into the game, often led to the ball by his opponent. But he had several rebound plays in the 2nd half. .Broadbent was use in rotations. His first half was fair but pushed himself strongly on the wing in the second half. Drogemuller had a quiet game at CHB but was effective when moved to CHF in the 2nd half. Likewise Cunningham though strong on the full back line ,enjoyed the freedom at CHB where his strong contesting and determined rebounds were very effective.

A very good win against a side that has been top for most of the season. Congratulations to everyone concerned - coaches, fitness staff, players, backroom staff and stats people.

Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2