whybother
The Barton
35Eagles
Headfan
Mickyj
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Sturt v Eagles unley Sunday May 5 - Page 3 Empty Re: Sturt v Eagles unley Sunday May 5

Post by Aerie Sun May 05, 2024 8:37 pm

Outstanding win! Unley Oval looked fantastic on TV.

With the benefit of hindsight, that 1st quarter was outstanding. Always hard to judge the wind factor when you’re not at the ground.

Those two goals to Sturt just before half time, and then Williams miss after the siren, undid a lot of the good work we did in the 2nd quarter.

Sturt came hard in the 3rd quarter. A costly miss by Goldsworthy didn’t help to halt the momentum Sturt had gained, 7 goals on the trot, but finally a steadier to Weckert, an excellent conversion, and a 13 point 3/4 time deficit.

Despite turning the tide slowly towards the end of the 3rd, the first goal to Sturt in the final quarter, had the Eagles backs well and truly to the wall. Sturt went back into their shell, chipping sideways and playing much like they did in the 1st half, while the Eagles team defence closed all the gaps on the small Unley Oval. Ballenden proved to be the best key forward on the ground and key goals to Mawson and Barkla to put us into the lead showed the growing confidence of this new Eagle team under Jacobs.

Morris was outstanding. D’Aloia, Rowe, Sinor and Redden were good on ball. The defence looks sound, even without Thompson, with Fleeton and Moore standing tall, Rowland back to his reliable best, Litster continuing to improve and Firns rock solid in his new role in defence. Those three contested marks in the last quarter were outstanding and game defining.

I liked the look of Hann, especially his burst from the contest and delivery to Ballenden in the 2nd quarter. Williams and Buck, much like Litster, continue to improve and look league standard now.

A chance to consolidate on this good form against South at home next week.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Sturt v Eagles unley Sunday May 5 - Page 3 Empty Re: Sturt v Eagles unley Sunday May 5

Post by 35Eagles Sun May 05, 2024 11:42 pm

Yeah over 3 thousands people at Unley today where eagles spoilt the party of the milestone
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Mon May 06, 2024 9:52 am

Something the Eagles found out due to the necessity to change things up at the start of the last quarter was to play Morris in the centre square and on ball. These little occasional stints on the ball can be very effective. Morris still needs to become more disciplined. Giving away 25m penalties is not on. Although generally a good kick sometimes his kick choice is poor.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Mon May 06, 2024 10:38 am

When Jacob's was announced as our coach, I know Mattner and their President raised their eyebrows in response and they don't rate Sam as a senior coach. Jacobs hasn't done much wrong so far in his coaching stint and certainly has the players on board. They look like they are really enjoying their footy this year. I believe Mattner was outcoached and the Morris move in the last quarter is part of that. Still a long way to go and Sturt will be even better next time we play them, but so will we with a number of players still missing from our best 22.
All the Sturt knobs are talking about is the umpiring, sore losers!!
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Mon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm

Spot on The Barton. What about the disgraceful umpiring at the Ponderosa the week before when we were under strength and only lost by only 15 points!
That’s the way Sauce - react to the moment, change it up ( brilliant Morris to mids), continue to use your vast playing experience.
We’ll done boys!
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Mon May 06, 2024 6:07 pm

The Barton wrote:When Jacob's was announced as our coach, I know Mattner and their President raised their eyebrows in response and they don't rate Sam as a senior coach. Jacobs hasn't done much wrong so far in his coaching stint and certainly has the players on board. They look like they are really enjoying their footy this year. I believe Mattner was outcoached and the Morris move in the last quarter is part of that. Still a long way to go and Sturt will be even better next time we play them, but so will we with a number of players still missing from our best 22.

They constantly panned to Jacobs in the coaches box during the 3rd quarter. He remained calm and composed. A good sign. I wasn't so calm and composed on the couch.

With the state game bye after next week against South, and fingers crossed we don't pile up with further injuries, having Knight, Beattie, Menzel, Thompson and Herbert available will be very handy.

Is Jack Boyd likely to make an impact on the league side once he recovers? A VFL key forward wasn't he?
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Mon May 06, 2024 7:04 pm

Aerie wrote:
The Barton wrote:When Jacob's was announced as our coach, I know Mattner and their President raised their eyebrows in response and they don't rate Sam as a senior coach. Jacobs hasn't done much wrong so far in his coaching stint and certainly has the players on board. They look like they are really enjoying their footy this year. I believe Mattner was outcoached and the Morris move in the last quarter is part of that. Still a long way to go and Sturt will be even better next time we play them, but so will we with a number of players still missing from our best 22.

They constantly panned to Jacobs in the coaches box during the 3rd quarter. He remained calm and composed. A good sign. I wasn't so calm and composed on the couch.

With the state game bye after next week against South, and fingers crossed we don't pile up with further injuries, having Knight, Beattie, Menzel, Thompson and Herbert available will be very handy.

Is Jack Boyd likely to make an impact on the league side once he recovers? A VFL key forward wasn't he?

Yes he was recruited as a forward. But given our lack of tall defenders I wonder whether he could play a role down back? Particularly given he will be underdone upon return and it might be an easier pathway for him to get some form.
Titan2
Titan2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Mon May 06, 2024 8:19 pm

I fear that Jack Boyd is a dud and he sold us a pup in regards to his back injury. Happy for him to prove me wrong. Last years dud is getting leather poisoning in the VFL for Williamstown. I don’t think RCD ever felt settled in Adelaide and maybe he simply missed his Mums.

I’m not one to generally focus on the umpiring. Play in front and you get the frees which is why Sturt got more in the third quarter. Agree that some of the decisions at Lizbef had me shaking my head.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Mon May 06, 2024 9:51 pm

See we’ve shortened on TAB from 8s to 5s.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Mon May 06, 2024 10:13 pm

The Barton wrote:When Jacob's was announced as our coach, I know Mattner and their President raised their eyebrows in response and they don't rate Sam as a senior coach.

Interesting guy MM

Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelScott Tue May 07, 2024 9:58 am

Coaches like Bassett (back at norwood now and 2024 ultra defensive game plan) and Mattner aren't good for the SANFL. Jacobs has been good so far with his attacking game plan and hopefully it continues.
MichaelScott

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Tue May 07, 2024 10:51 am

MichaelScott wrote:Coaches like Bassett (back at norwood now and 2024 ultra defensive game plan) and Mattner aren't good for the SANFL. Jacobs has been good so far with his attacking game plan and hopefully it continues.

Indeed. We are certainly playing an exciting game that is enjoyable to watch. Our points for are massive, very un Eagles like!
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Tue May 07, 2024 11:53 am

And the calculation of % behaves "funny". Our % keeps on going down !
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Thu May 09, 2024 8:58 pm

whybother wrote:And the calculation of % behaves "funny".  Our % keeps on going down !

If we used the AFL percentage calculation we would currently be on 151.93
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3