Hall of Fame

4 posters

Go down

Hall of Fame Empty Hall of Fame

Post by Reddeer Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:45 am

Back in July 2019 I wrote to the board as the Club Historian and asked that Roy Brown West Torrens first Captain Coach of the then club 1st Premiership be nominated as a recipient of Hall of Fame recognition. I never received a reply to my letter and since then the non selection of Roy at the 2019 Hall of Fame announcements I decide to make a few enquiries. Now knowing John Halbert through my work with his wife Chris in the SANFL History group I asked John if Roy Brown had come under consideration. He told me that NO nomination had been received for him as far as he could remember (bear in mind that John Halbert is on the Hall of Fame selection committee for the SANFL) Further enquiries with the club resulted in being told that the club didn't get around to nominating anyone. If this so I am VERY disappointed as I provided a comprehensive document to the Club on Roy Brown's record. I will be asking an interesting question to the board at the upcoming AGM on the 28th January and expect a proper answer (Not we will just looking into it)
Reddeer

Back to top Go down

Hall of Fame Empty Re: Hall of Fame

Post by Goddsy11 Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:54 pm

Do you think its because we are a merged club?
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:32 pm

I wonder why this went down ?
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reddeer Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:52 pm

So I made my statement and asked my question at the AGM Not confirmed but it may be that the club nominate their own choice but I don't know who

Club nominations for the SANFL Hall of Fame
First some basic information so please bear with me
When the SANFL introduced the Hall of Fame recognition for individuals who had had major involvement, significant contribution and history in the SANFL in 2002 the Club CEO at the time, John Kantalaftis, organised a committee that consisted of the late Ron Kinsman, the late Charlie Winstanley, Bob Baker, Des Barry, myself and maybe a couple of other members. We worked on a list of nominees that we thought matched the criteria required. Many of those individuals have since been awarded the honour and some of course were included as inaugural recipients. They were for your information Bob Hank, Lindsay Head, Malcolm Blight, Fred Bills, Ralph Sewer and Tom MacKenzie.
Of the current 215 members the club has 9 other recipients and 7 members who at some stage were Involved with Woodville or West Torrens. At this stage only Andrew Rogers and Bruce Lindsay did play for Woodville West Torrens following the merger
Now for the reason I am raising this.
In July last year I wrote to the Board and asked that Roy Brown, who has a wonderful record of involvement both for West Torrens as the First Premiership Captain Coach and the SANFL in general. I provided a comprehensive document to support the nomination. When in September the new Hall of Fame members were announced as it is now incorporated into the Magarey Medal ceremony, I was disappointed to see that Roy was not included. In November I attended a historian meeting at Adelaide Oval conducted by Christine Halbert, At the meeting I asked John Halbert (who is on the Hall of Fame selection committee) if Roy Brown had been considered. He told me that he could not recall Roy Brown having been nominated. I found from the club that no nominations had been put forward either by oversight or workload. I would like to know why we missed this opportunity or did we in fact nominate someone else. Or it may be that the controlling body doesn’t regard these recognitions as important but I can assure you as club historian I do
Since then I asked John Halbert for a further check to confirm my query.
His answer by email is quote
Roy Brown’s name appears on the list of many names suggested for nomination to the SA Hall of Fame. Like many others it has sat there with no further action. Normally the committee looks for recommendations from the SANFL clubs each year and a notice is sent out to the clubs asking them to move on whom they will nominate.
In the past we have not received Roy Brown’s name from the WWT football club. Therefore I would suggest that at the AGM which you propose to attend, you strongly emphasise the need for the club to nominate his name when the club is asked for recommendations during the year.

So may I suggest that as the Club Historian I could and for that matter should be involved when Clubs are asked for nominations usually in June/July each year. There are also several other players that could be nominated but under the present system only 3 new members are added each year from all clubs recommendations John Halbert also mentioned that the committee is keen to have more early pioneer types considered. (Perhaps they are tired of just giving the honours to retired Crows or Port Power players)
John Storer
Club Historian
Life member
Reddeer

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:38 pm

How much consideration is given to players who played solely after 1990, and mostly for an SANFL club?  I've scanned the list, and it seems only two fit this criteria - the Gowans twins.  And only Rogers, Scott Hodges and Brett James played the majority of their careers post 1990 at SANFL level.

Is it possible to nominate someone like Cica?  He was the Gowanses nemesis during that period; is the club record holder; as far as I know only Peter Carey played more finals matches; played in 2 premiership sides; was in 7 teams of the year (only Brant Chambers has played in that many post 1990); I think still has the most Magarey Medal votes for one club post 1990 (James Boyd has the most in total).

And I can already hear the gnashing of teeth from other clubs should this materialise - well, they have to nominate their players, too, to get a player in there. So test the water with this!
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:57 pm

spell_check wrote:How much consideration is given to players who played solely after 1990, and mostly for an SANFL club?  I've scanned the list, and it seems only two fit this criteria - the Gowans twins.  And only Rogers, Scott Hodges and Brett James played the majority of their careers post 1990 at SANFL level.

Is it possible to nominate someone like Cica?  He was the Gowanses nemesis during that period; is the club record holder; as far as I know only Peter Carey played more finals matches; played in 2 premiership sides; was in 7 teams of the year (only Brant Chambers has played in that many post 1990); I think still has the most Magarey Medal votes for one club post 1990 (James Boyd has the most in total).

And I can already hear the gnashing of teeth from other clubs should this materialise - well, they have to nominate their players, too, to get a player in there.  So test the water with this!

Sounds the way to go
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reddeer Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:42 pm

Mickyj wrote:
spell_check wrote:How much consideration is given to players who played solely after 1990, and mostly for an SANFL club?  I've scanned the list, and it seems only two fit this criteria - the Gowans twins.  And only Rogers, Scott Hodges and Brett James played the majority of their careers post 1990 at SANFL level.

And I can already hear the gnashing of teeth from other clubs should this materialise - well, they have to nominate their players, too, to get a player in there.  So test the water with this!

Sounds the way to go
But thats NOT my point I provided the club with all the details they needed to nominated a deserving pioneer and they failed to do it
Granted there are other individuals worthy of nomination and eventually they will be included. i.e Andrew Payze, Jack Karney, Justin Cicilella, Ralph Aldersey, Glen Pill, Peter Philipou, Bob Gibson, Max Parker, David Christie, Lindsay Heaven just to name a few
Reddeer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down