Powell and Grocke retire

3 posters

Go down

Powell and Grocke retire Empty Powell and Grocke retire

Post by Mickyj Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:40 pm

The WWTFC can announce that Luke Powell & Adam Grocke will retire at season’s end.

In a superb career spanning 12 years from 2003 to 2014, Powell’s toughness and courage have seen him become a much loved and respected player amongst not only his teammates and Club but the wider football community. Testament to Luke’s character is his unrivalled ability and desire to make other players and people around him better.

Powell’s list of achievements is tribute to his stature in the game. They include;

Club Champion Award (2008)
Best Team Man (2006,2010,2011,2013)
2 Premierships (2006, 2011)
Captain from 2012-2014
SA State Team Representative 2006, 2008
On his decision to retire Powell said “I would like to sincerely thank the Woodville West Torrens Football Club for giving me the opportunity to play at such a wonderful Club. I am blessed to be involved with a Club that has exceptional core values. To all our members, sponsors and supporters thank you for your involvement in the club during my time, your support, passion and kind words to me has always been valued.”

“I would also like to thank my wife Lisa, son Mason, parents and extended family for such tremendous support and understanding and the many memories and experiences you have endured with me over the last 12 years. I will be forever grateful.”

“My teammates and the lifelong friends I’ve made along the way have made my journey so special. I think the mark of a great club is if you can walk out of the Club once you retire a better person. The Eagles Football Club has certainly achieved this in me.”

Coach Michael Godden said “It doesn’t matter which club you are involved in people like Luke Powell are rare breeds. Here at the Eagles we have had the privilege to have Luke play such a huge part in the culture of this proud club. Luke has always been a man of less words more action, so when he speaks we listen and when he plays we are grateful.

“With any player you coach all you ask for is everything they have, in Luke’s case this is every training session and every game. Luke should be very proud of his achievements and the respect he holds not only at the Eagles but within the SA football community. I wish Luke, Lisa and Mason all the very best for the future and I am sure the entire football department will endeavour to make sure your last season is a memorable one.”

Grocke who joined the Eagles from North Adelaide in 2006 quickly became the cornerstone of the Eagles forward line. His ability to dominate games with his work rate and contested marking saw him become one of the dominant key forwards in the competition.

Grocke’s list of achievements includes;

2 Premierships (2006, 2011)
SA State Team Representative 2012 (Fos Williams Medallist)
Eagles Leading Goal Kicker (2010,2011,2012)
On his decision to retire Grocke said “If you had told me in 2005 that by the end of my SANFL career I would be a two time premiership player, I wouldn’t have believed it.”

“The Eagles Footy Club, Members, Supporters and the Board, have continually put the Club in a position that allows players to focus on playing footy by providing us with the best coaches, staff, equipment and facilities in the league to help us achieve success and I’m very grateful for this.”

“I’d like to thank my parents and Fiancé Olivia for their amazing support especially over the last two years which have been tough with injuries.”

Coach Michael Godden said “The last couple of years have been frustrating for Adam. At his best he is an amazing player and has given great service to the Eagles Football Club. I am extremely happy to have had the chance to get to know and coach Adam. As a quiet, respectful and relaxed person Adam is a fierce competitor and this has allowed him to play a part in two successful premiership sides (so far) which he should be very proud of.”

“As many of our great players do, Adam has always given his best and you know when he comes from the field he has worked as hard as he can to help the team succeed.”

“We wish Adam and Olivia all the success and happiness that the future holds, and like Luke I hope we can write just one more chapter to an incredible career.”

Powell will play in game 232 and Grocke his 166 against West Adelaide this Saturday at Maughan Thiem Hyundai Oval.

Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Powell and Grocke retire Empty Re: Powell and Grocke retire

Post by Columbo Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:19 pm

Can't say much more about these two guys than what Godsy has said.
Heart and soul is a phrase that gets thrown around in footy circles often but there is no better way to describe Powelly, great player, great clubman and great bloke who has made a huge contribution to the club.
Grockes has been a great player who will unfortunately be remembered more for the events of this year than how he could impact a game. In the end he is a dual premiership player at our club and I for one will certainly miss reminding the North supporters (who bagged him at every opportunity) of that key stat.
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dobber Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:50 pm

guns! both of them. Not great for our disintegrating culture going forward through!
Dobber
Dobber

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down