LUKE LEAVING HIS LEGACY

3 posters

Go down

LUKE LEAVING HIS LEGACY Empty LUKE LEAVING HIS LEGACY

Post by Mickyj Tue May 28, 2013 5:09 pm

By ZAC MILBANK |Twitter @zacmilbank

Two premierships, two seasons as captain and on Saturday, it will be 200 games.

There’s little doubting Luke Powell has carved out an impressive career since arriving at Woodville-West Torrens in 2003.

As much as the genuine 32-year-old has enjoyed the ride, Powell’s main motivation has been to honour his late father Glenn.

Powell was just eight years of age when his dad lost his battle with skin cancer, but in a fitting tribute, the determined midfielder has used the tragedy as the ultimate spur in life on and off the football field.

‘’He (Glenn) was only 33 when he passed away,’’ Powell revealed.

‘’He had skin cancer, a Melanoma, and it was at the stage (in time) where they (doctors) didn’t really know how to treat it. By then, it was too aggressive as it had got into his system so it was a battle he was never going to win really.

‘’It’s been great to have my step-father (John) who has been great for my family and a great role model for me as well.’’

Asked what his father Glenn would have thought about his successful career with the Eagles, Powell’s answer is simple.

‘’It’s not so much about what he thinks about what I’ve done,’’ Powell said.

‘’It’s more from my point of view about trying to make him proud. That’s the best way to put it. I hope I have done that but in terms of achievements I’m not big on individual accolades and stuff like that. My mantra is always to do as much as I can for the team. As long as the team is doing well then I am happy.’’

The mantra Powell speaks of certainly played a significant part in him winning premiership medallions in 2006 and 2011.

‘’That was awesome,’’ said Powell, from the Victorian country town of Portalington.

‘’Before we had won one we had heard all of the stories about how good it is and that it is the greatest week of your life. After a full year of trying to achieve that success, and actually accomplish it, it is a great feeling and is something I wish I could do more.

‘’The great thing for me is also being able to experience a premiership five years apart with two different groups. Essentially there are 40 guys you have been able to have that success with which is great.’’

There were only five other players, who like Powell, relished playing in both premierships.

As a result, Powell shares a special bond with Justin Cicolella, Mark McKenzie, Luke Jarrad, Adam Grocke and Leigh Treeby.

‘’We were probably pretty lucky to go through those five years and get there again,’’ said Powell, who manages the operation of Darel Hart Bricklayers and Scaffolding.

‘’Mark McKenzie and Cica I am really good friends with, especially Justin as he had the disappointment of so much early on….for them to get the rewards….it was excellent to share that with them.’’

It’s amazing to think Powell – 184cm and 90kg -only intended on staying at Oval Avenue for two seasons after making his decision to play in the SANFL.

Having been overlooked by AFL clubs while playing alongside the likes of Jonathan Brown and Cameron Ling at the Geelong Falcons, Powell was desperate to prove himself at the next best level.

‘’I had also done two pre-seasons with Geelong’s senior list to try and get on their rookie list but that didn’t eventuate,’’ said Powell, who has been the Eagles captain since the start of 2012.

‘’So I thought I would come over for two years and hopefully push my name and get another (AFL) opportunity. But after the first couple of years I just fell in love with the place. I enjoyed the Adelaide lifestyle but I just fell in love with the footy club and the people involved.’’

While Powell speaks openly about his love for the Eagles, it is surpassed only by that of his love for his wife Lisa and three-month-old son Mason.

‘’It’s great fun as it is something I always wanted to do since losing my dad,’’ Powell said of being a parent.

‘’I have always strived to be a father so I love it. It puts footy into perspective a bit as you can handle the losses a lot more because you know you have got something great to come home to.’’

With such an outstanding character as his dad, there’s no doubt Mason will be equally determined to make his father proud.
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

LUKE LEAVING HIS LEGACY Empty Re: LUKE LEAVING HIS LEGACY

Post by Columbo Tue May 28, 2013 7:44 pm

Great player, Great Bloke. Congrats Powelly!
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdOfPrey Tue May 28, 2013 8:52 pm

Congrats to Luke, one of my all time favourite Eagles.
BirdOfPrey
BirdOfPrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Wed May 29, 2013 9:41 am

right now he is at his best well done luke
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content