Recycled Eagles rock solid

Go down

Recycled Eagles rock solid Empty Recycled Eagles rock solid

Post by Mickyj Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:44 am

Recycled Eagles rock solid
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/recycled-eagles-rock-solid/story-e6freckc-1225925021243

OPPOSITES are supposed to attract and Woodville-West Torrens is finding Ben Grieger and Adam Grocke are a pretty good mix.

One is a dour full back from Lameroo who's earnt the nickname `Bear Grylls' for his hunting and fishing exploits.

The other, a flashy half forward who combines his job in finance with a part-time modelling career and is a keen surfer.

But together they bookend the Eagles side which returns to AAMI Stadium this weekend to confront Glenelg in the first semi final.

What they do have in common is they've both resurrected their careers at the Eagles and are among the best in their positions in the competition.

Grieger spent seven years at West Adelaide before leaving in 2008 and playing in back-to-back premierships with Lameroo.

``Last year I felt I had more to give but didn't think I'd get another opportunity,'' Grieger said.

``I felt I hadn't played my best footy yet and I wanted team success (at SANFL level).''

That chance arrived when a chat with Godden, who also hails from Lameroo, lured him to Oval Avenue.

Grieger - who has journalism and teaching degrees - has had a breakout season on some of the league's best forwards and last week did a job on Sturt gun Brant Chambers.

``Not many kids probably say they want to grow up and be a full back but I think I match up okay on some blokes,'' the 24-year-old said.

``I'm not blessed with a beautiful, fluent action like a Scotty Lewis so I'm always working on my kicking.''

At the other end of the ground Grocke, 26, has learnt to impose himself on a game and dominated with five goals last weekend.

Not bad for a guy who claims to have been told by North Adelaide he was unlikely to play league footy in 2006 and decided to look elsewhere.

``I've matured heaps as a player and confidence from the coaching staff and teammates has given me some belief,'' he said.

``With the role (half forward) you really have to be able to go `okay, it's a 50-50 game, I've got to put my hand up'.

``And it's nice to have Scott Welsh and Trent Hentschel on either side of me.''

There was a point however, after being reported for the third time this season, Grocke questioned whether he was trying to assert himself too much.

``I thought `have I changed what I was doing last year, or am I going too over the top?'.

``But a lot of those came from incidental contact, there was no intent to hurt anyone and nothing vicious.''

After conquering Sturt, both men face another challenge against Glenelg on Sunday with Grieger likely to get the job on Todd Grima while Grocke may face close attention from Daniel Kirk.
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Recycled Eagles rock solid Empty Re: Recycled Eagles rock solid

Post by Mickyj Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:44 am

They did miss out on Lewis and Parry in the interview.
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down