The Barton
Columbo
Aerie
wimpy
Mickyj
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Does anyone know ? Empty Does anyone know ?

Post by Mickyj Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:42 am

On talking footy last week I read a post about our coaching staff.
Anyone know if Rick Macgowan is helping Sheedy ?
Not a problem if he is I wasn’t aware that he is .
From memory he was at our club when Ron Fuller was our coach .
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Does anyone know ? Empty Re: Does anyone know ?

Post by wimpy Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:44 am

Mickyj wrote:On talking footy last week I read a post about our coaching staff.

I think you will find they are good friends and Macgowan is a sort of mentor/confidant.
Macgowan was back in the club rooms after the NA match.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:52 am

wimpy wrote:
Mickyj wrote:On talking footy last week I read a post about our coaching staff.

I think you will find they are good friends and Macgowan is a sort of mentor/confidant.
Macgowan was back in the club rooms after the NA match.

Thanks Wimpy
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:40 pm

Pretty sure Macgowan came as an assistant to Fuller in the 2006 season. The magic touch.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:43 pm

Aerie wrote:Pretty sure Macgowan came as an assistant to Fuller in the 2006 season. The magic touch.

I think your right Aerie
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:40 pm

Think you are right Aerie, he went to Sturt the following year.

He has been at quite a few games this year.
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:03 pm

Is Luke Powell the main man responsible for getting the football department together, along with recruits etc.?

With the way he handled the 19th man saga a couple of years ago, along with getting the squad going the way it is since that time, it is full credit to him and any others involved.

Powell would be well aware the impact Macgowan had on that 2006 team.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:46 am

I really like the way Sheedy goes about things and feel he has plenty of input. Luke Powell appears to be very steady, a hard worker and not out spoken.  Would say Sheedy is well organised and does a lot of home work. Has a great attitude and is a confident person. When we have home games he invites and encourages the opposition to come back to the club rooms for a drink. Will engage with all supporters. This is my most enjoyable season of watching the Eagles play since 2011. Sheedy has refreshed the playing group, encouraged the youth and is not afraid to play them. Also he has implemented a game plan that the players like and the supporters enjoy. The way the club is being run and promoted is a good advertisement for attracting recruits and keeping current players.
Another thing to point out is the huge part Shane Reardon has played in keeping our junior stocks at a very high level.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:41 am

wimpy wrote:Another thing to point out is the huge part Shane Reardon has played in keeping our junior stocks at a very high level.

With the change in zones as well. Hasn't missed a beat.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:45 am

Well said Wimpy. A very good snap shot of where we are currently at.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by eaglesman Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:28 am

Yes, they are all doing a fantastic job, and much appreciated by the fans.
eaglesman
eaglesman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:34 am

Well written Wimpy
I love the game style
I love how we picked up Seymour thanks to Sheedy
It appears from the terraces the players want to be there and want to win
Jones we will lose to the draft but what a star
Hearing Guff telling him where to stand is a great sign
Jones mark was awesome
But Thompson looks to have improved this year his one handed grab in front of my spot was fantastic

Whoever got Sheedy to the club well done
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:27 am

Sheedy was runner up when Sam Lonergan was appointed and was runner up to Stone when he was appointed the Bays coach. When Sam L. left, Kurt Slaven was straight on the phone to Sheedy to get him to apply for the position and what a coup it has been.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:21 pm

Powelly also had connections with Sheedy from his playing days and tried to lure him to the Eagles as a player. It took us a while but we got him eventually.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:29 pm

wimpy wrote:Sheedy was runner up when Sam Lonergan was appointed and was runner up to Stone when he was appointed the Bays coach. When Sam L. left, Kurt Slaven was straight on the phone to Sheedy to get him to apply for the position and what a coup it has been.

Pity we didn’t get him last year
But happy we have him now
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:42 pm

To be fair Sam Lonergan was tasked with the challenge of changing the Eagles game style to that of a more attacking one after a very safe playing style under Godden. Sam tried to do too much too soon and the players suffered from information overload. Not taking anything away from Wimpy's favourite coach but maybe Sam at least started changing the mindset of the players 12 months ago.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:41 pm

The Barton wrote:To be fair Sam Lonergan was tasked with the challenge of changing the Eagles game style to that of a more attacking one after a very safe playing style under Godden.  Sam tried to do too much too soon and the players suffered from information overload. Not taking anything away from Wimpy's favourite coach but maybe Sam at least started changing the mindset of the players 12 months ago.
I was not a fan of Sam and I was glad when he went. Under Sheedy he has introduce many new player from last season. In bold the new and in red fringe players given a go. I don't believe Sam would had achieved what Sheedy has done.

F: Rowe, J. Hayes, N. Hayes

HF: Lowson, Von Bertouch, Foote

C: McNeil, Toumpas, Goldsworthy

HB: Jones, Giuffreda, Wehr

B: Rowland, Thompson, Mansell

R: Redden, Sinor, Tsitas

INT: Lonergan, Seymour, Poole,  Westbrook, Lee
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:00 pm

No doubt about that Goddy, Sheedy certainly supports the youth coming through and backs them in. He can also spot a dud pretty quickly and doesn't seem to play favourites. I never rated Nick Moore at League level and Jade worked that out after the first game. Also Sharrad unfortunately, his style of game doesn't suit the new game plan. Would be interesting to see how a fit Tom Gray would fit into Sheedy's team (or not). We certainly aren't missing any of those that departed in the off season (Gaffney x 2, Johansen, Boyd, Nason, Big Seb) with the exception of Petrenko, you'd find room for him in your best 22.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:39 pm

Aerie wrote:
wimpy wrote:Another thing to point out is the huge part Shane Reardon has played in keeping our junior stocks at a very high level.

With the change in zones as well. Hasn't missed a beat.
He has kept them at a high level for a while. The juniors just keep coming in.

Also we don't hear much of the reserves coach. I think he has done a fantastic job.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagles35 Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:50 pm

The thing is major difference between Sam and Jade is that Jade cares about the players and everyone around the place and he knows how to look after people but Sam was the opposite it seems
Eagles35
Eagles35

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:18 pm

The Barton wrote:To be fair Sam Lonergan was tasked with the challenge of changing the Eagles game style to that of a more attacking one after a very safe playing style under Godden.  Sam tried to do too much too soon and the players suffered from information overload. Not taking anything away from Wimpy's favourite coach but maybe Sam at least started changing the mindset of the players 12 months ago.

Don't underestimate what Sam walked into when he took over, he had to deal with the after effects of the last game of the previous season and the impact that had on the players. I think so much emotional energy went into that first game last year (i think we could have played 2 short and still won) and after that we know what happened.
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:40 am

Spot on Columbo
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:19 am

Jacob is one of Sheedy's success stories. I just saw this in todays 'tiser. To go 48 matches in the B's and under Sheedy the potential seen finally. How many others have we missed out on. If we look at NA and SA , we see WWT player that have gone and made careers.

Woodville-West Torrens’ Jacob Wehr shows persistence pays off to make SANFL level
After 48 reserves games, Jacob Wehr was questioning his SANFL future, then new coach Jade Sheedy came to Oval Avenue, and the rest is history
Jacob Wehr was at the crossroads.
He had failed to break into Woodville-West Torrens’ league team in three years of senior football, playing 48 reserves matches, and was considering his future in the SANFL.
Then came a new coach (Jade Sheedy), a new opportunity and a decision to give the game everything he had in one last roll of the dice.
“At the end of last year, having played so many twos games, I was questioning where I was at,’’ 22-year-old Wehr said of his sudden coming of age as a footballer.
“I was contemplating whether I’d keep playing in the SANFL but I spoke to my dad and decided to stick at it.
“I worked a lot harder in the pre-season break, got fitter and stronger, and ‘Sheeds’ has backed me in from there.’’
It has paid off in bucket loads.
After impressing Sheedy in the pre-season and finally making his league debut in round one, the hard-running half-back has become one of the hot flag favourite’s most valuable assets, playing every game since.
Sheedy has labelled the 184cm, classy left-footer the Eagles’ best kick, describing it as “a weapon’’, and handed him the responsibility of kick-in duties.
“Jacob’s a beautiful left-foot kick, the best kick at our club,’’ said Sheedy.
“His ability to hit a long, punch or advantage kick is outstanding. He has a terrific skill set and gives us a lot of drive from the back half.
“He was crying out for an opportunity, has taken it with both hands and is one of the reasons we’ve got better.’’
Wehr, from Balaklava in the Eagles’ country zone, is pinching himself at the stunning U-turn his career has taken.
“It’s been awesome,’’ he said after having a career-high 29 disposals against premier Glenelg last week.
“It’s been a slow grind and I didn’t come through the traditional pathway of playing elite junior football, but getting ‘Sheeds’ on board was a blessing.
“From the start he backed a lot of us young kids in, put faith in us to do a job for him and gave us the confidence to play on instinct.
“I was lucky enough get an opportunity at the top level early this year and it was nice to finally get that reward and make the most of it.’’
Lightly built at 71kg, Wehr played most of his reserves football as a wingman before Sheedy moved him to half-back to capitalise on his elite ball use.
It proved to be a masterstroke.
“He was looking for some more drive back there, a bit of creativity,’’ said Wehr, adding he modelled his game on GWS star Lachie Whitfield and had long focused on his kicking because of his slender build.
“I’m stoked with how things have worked out because if you had told me a year ago that I’d play 12 league games in a row I would have said you were joking.
“I couldn’t have asked for a better year, from an individual and team perspective, and hopefully we can get the ultimate result (a premiership) at the end of it.’’
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/local-footy-sa/sanfl/port-adelaide-draft-prospect-lachlan-jones-takes-skyscraper-mark-in-eagles-big-win/news-story/e93537a6daf614cc86b51b42a7632e29?utm_source=TheAdvertiser&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Editorial&utm_content=ADV_AM-PM_MIX_01&net_sub_id=285893080&type=recommended&position=1&overallPos=8
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:36 am

Thanks For that post Goddy
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:10 pm

Anyone heard if we may try to lure Sauce back next year.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum