West Torrens/Eagles players drafted by AFL teams since 1986

+3
Gazz
Goddsy11
wimpy
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

West Torrens/Eagles players drafted by AFL teams since 1986 Empty West Torrens/Eagles players drafted by AFL teams since 1986

Post by wimpy Sun May 24, 2020 9:07 am

With no live football to occupy my time I just went back and looked through former and current West Torrens and Eagles player that have been drafted since the introduction of the AFL draft in 1986. Some of the names bring back memories. The number of AFL games played by some have surprised me. Over the next couple of weeks I will put up a list of who I consider the top 40 West Torrens/Eagles players to make an impact on the AFL since the 1986 draft. To start with just a few numbers. I'm quite happy for my numbers and stats to be disputed, I'm just an amateur at this, but I thought it would but fun and provoke discussion.
Eighty Seven players have been drafted. Eighteen are currently on active AFL lists. Thirty did not or are yet to play an AFL game, this includes five that were drafted last November. Only one of the November draftees has now played an AFL game. Two previously drafted have yet to play an AFL game and are on an active AFL list, that means 22 completed their AFL career without playing an AFL game. Twenty four players have played 100 or more AFL games. Eight more between 50 to 100. Five of the 100+ players are still playing.

Today I will start my countdown from 40 and list my 40 - 36:

40)  L Schache (29 AFL Games)
39)  N Pesch (35)
38)  R Pyman (40)
37) C Ellis-Yolmen (39*)
36)  A Crowell (44)

Stay tuned for the next players in the count down.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

West Torrens/Eagles players drafted by AFL teams since 1986 Empty Re: West Torrens/Eagles players drafted by AFL teams since 1986

Post by Goddsy11 Mon May 25, 2020 9:42 am

I will follow your countdown this with interest. Just thinking of some of my best
Brian Lake
Sauce Jacobs
Brodie Smith
Tent Hentschell
Cam Sutcliffe
Bernie Vince
Matthew Stokes
Nathan Bock
Jay Schulz
Matthew Broadbent
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

West Torrens/Eagles players drafted by AFL teams since 1986 Empty Re: West Torrens/Eagles players drafted by AFL teams since 1986

Post by Aerie Mon May 25, 2020 12:41 pm

Watching with interest! It would be interesting to list how many league games they played for the Eagles as well if that info is available.

I'm guessing there is just one player in that time that would be considered, had he played his whole career with the Eagles, at the very top end amongst the likes of Head and Hank.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Mon May 25, 2020 3:00 pm

I forgot Pavlich and McGregor. Throw in Jamie Tape,S Sziller,
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Mon May 25, 2020 3:20 pm

goddy11 wrote:I will follow your countdown  this with interest. Just thinking of some of my best  
Brian Lake
Sauce Jacobs
Brodie Smith
Tent Hentschell
Cam Sutcliffe
Bernie Vince
Matthew Stokes
Nathan Bock
Jay Schulz
Matthew Broadbent

My best 22 will look very good. Most of the above will feature. Two standouts you missed, but have been mentioned by someone else. My best 22 maybe a little thin with on ballers, but everywhere else appears to be very strong.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Mon May 25, 2020 11:02 pm

Wimpy - I've done mine including a best 22. I will keep and show you once you've finished yours! That way I can see if I've missed any players!
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Tue May 26, 2020 8:38 am

Aerie wrote:Wimpy - I've done mine including a best 22. I will keep and show you once you've finished yours! That way I can see if I've missed any players!

Great stuff "Aerie", I hope more posters do their own teams. Although I will list my top 40 there is a possibility that some of my best team players will come from outside the top 22, just to balance the team.
I'm astounded at some of the players I have had to leave out of my team. I think most people will be surprised at how bloody good the team looks.

The next count down five will most probably be posted tomorrow.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Tue May 26, 2020 1:52 pm

wimpy wrote:
Aerie wrote:Wimpy - I've done mine including a best 22. I will keep and show you once you've finished yours! That way I can see if I've missed any players!

Great stuff "Aerie", I hope more posters do their own teams. Although I will list my top 40 there is a possibility that some of my best team players will come from outside the top 22, just to balance the team.
I'm astounded at some of the players I have had to leave out of my team. I think most people will be surprised at how bloody good the team looks.

Very strong team. I left 8 100+ AFL game players out of my best 22 and based it on the input a player had at AFL level - so some absolute gun Eagle players that didn't play a huge amount of AFL also left out.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Tue May 26, 2020 2:09 pm

wimpy wrote:

This is a hard task.. Just looking at some of our players over the years, I've forgotten so many. Our best side would beat any side. Just seen Jarrod Polec, Luke Dunstan, Matt Whelan, Nick Paesh to add.
I have forgotten a tall CHB back in the early 90's. Went to Richmond but should have been picked up by the crows. may have played State of origin. I need a memory jogger. help
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Tue May 26, 2020 4:51 pm

goddy11 wrote:
wimpy wrote:

This is a hard task.. Just looking at some of our players over the years, I've forgotten so many. Our best side would beat any side. Just seen Jarrod Polec, Luke Dunstan, Matt Whelan, Nick Paesh  to add.
I have forgotten a tall CHB back in the early 90's. Went to Richmond but should have been picked up by the crows. may have played State of origin. I need a memory jogger. help

I think you might be referring to Paul Bulluss. Played 97 AFL games. Initially I didn't think he would make an AFL team but to play 97 games for Richmond at CHB was a terrific achievement.  Quite a few talls to select from, Bulluss, McGregor, Lake, Bock, Prymke, Tape, Broadbent, B Cox and Stuart Lamond.

Last edited by wimpy on Thu May 28, 2020 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Tue May 26, 2020 6:21 pm

wimpy wrote:
goddy11 wrote:
wimpy wrote:

This is a hard task.. Just looking at some of our players over the years, I've forgotten so many. Our best side would beat any side. Just seen Jarrod Polec, Luke Dunstan, Matt Whelan, Nick Paesh  to add.

I think you might be referring to Paul Bulluss. Played 97 AFL games. Initially I didn't think he would make an AFL team but to play 97 games for Richmond at CHB was a terrific achievement.  Quite a few talls to select from, Bulluss, McGregor, Lake, Bock, Prymke, Tape, Broadbent and B Cox.
Paul Bulluss, That's him. Good player. Paul Prymke, had forgotten him.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Wed May 27, 2020 3:05 pm

My stats could be wrong, but I have:

- 6 individual AFL Premiership players (total 9 premierships)
- 2 Norm Smith Medalists
- 8 individual All-Australians (16 All-Australian appearances)
- 7 individual club best & fairest winners (14 best & fairest in total)
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Wed May 27, 2020 6:56 pm

Aerie wrote:My stats could be wrong, but I have:

- 2 Norm Smith Medalists

I've provoked "Aerie" in to action, love it. Keep it coming.

My computer has been down all day, just come back to life, will do next five tomorrow.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Wed May 27, 2020 8:19 pm

wimpy wrote:

- 2 Norm Smith Medalists

My computer has been down all day, just come back to life, will do next five tomorrow.
Aerie name the players. I cant think of all them Very Happy
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Thu May 28, 2020 7:50 am

My next list of five:

35) Scott Freeborn (48)
34) Aaron Shattock (68)
33) Riley Knight (54*)
32) Hayden Skipworth (55)
31) Paul Prymke (40)

Now I have given out 10 players and their ranking some debate should be occurring about their rankings!!

Where will Jimmy Toumpas rank???

Does the all star team go with two specific tap ruckmen??

Does the all star team go with three tall backmen??

wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Thu May 28, 2020 11:29 am

goddy11 wrote:
wimpy wrote:

- 2 Norm Smith Medalists

Aerie name the players. I cant think of all them Very Happy

In no particular order - Pavlich, Long, Shattock, Lake, Vince, Rendell, G.Freeborn, Smith, Bock, Rogers, Stokes, Stretch and Camporeale.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Thu May 28, 2020 11:34 am

wimpy wrote:My next list of five:

35)  Scott Freeborn  (48)
34)  Aaron Shattock  (68)
33)  Riley Knight  (54*)
32)  Hayden Skipworth  (55)
31)  Paul Prymke  (40)

Now I have given out 10 players and their ranking some debate should be occurring about their rankings!!

Where will Jimmy Toumpas rank???

Does the all star team go with two specific tap ruckmen??

Does the all star team go with three tall backmen??

I didn't have Toumpas, or S.Freeborn, Skipworth, Crowell, Pesch or Ellis-Yolmen in my top 40. The rest you've named I also had between 30-40!

I wasn't sure on the qualification of Matt Rendell - played with Fitzroy prior to '86, but was drafted by Brisbane in 1991?

If Rendell is in, I would play two tap ruckman as I rate both he and the other ruckman in the top 10 Eagle AFL players! If not - possibly just the one. And if Rendell isn't qualified, Ellis-Yolmen makes it in my top 40!
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Fri May 29, 2020 9:35 am

I will throw up my 40. Going forward I may explain why. Not necessarily on AFL exploits. I have not put any in that where PA or Crows draft players eg Mark Stevens, Mark McKenzie, Thommo
I'll be interested seeing all the others

1. Matthew Pavlich  The best player by a length
2. Brodie Smith
3. Bernie Vince  My personal favourite
4. Brian Lake
5. Richard Champion
6. Nathan Bock
7. Jay Schulz
8. Sam  Jacobs  
9. Rhett Biglands
10. Brett Burton
11. Jared Polec
12. Scott Camporeale
13. Matthew Stokes
14. Ken McGregor
15. Scott McMahon
16. Andrew Taylor
17. Matthew Broadbent
18. Paul  Bulluss
19. Jamie Tape  
20. Justin Cicolella
21. John Klug
22. Allen Jakovich
23. Robert Pyman  
24. Steven Sziller
25. Andrew Payze
26. Bruce Lindsay
27. Trent Hentschel
28. Jared Petrenko
29. Paul Stewart
30. Glenn Freeborn
31. Matthew Kluzek
32. Michael Werner
33. Robert Shirley
34. Wayne Wiedeman
35. Hayden Skipworth
36. Cam Ellis-Yolmen
37. Paul Prymke
38. Sam Phillipou
39. Luke Dunstan
40. Matt Whelan

Some that missed out that deserve a mention
41. Riley Knight
42. Mark Kennedy
43. Jack Lukosius
44. Cam Sutcliffe
45. Lawrence  Schache
46. Nick Pesch
47. Jimmy_Toumpas
48. Jarrad Redden
49.  Andrew Crowell
50. Brennan Cox
51. Nick Salter
52. Aaron Shattock  
53. Romano Negri  
54. Tyson Stengle
55. Kysaiah Pickett
56. Harry Schoenberg
57. Jackson Mead
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:44 am

I missed a player in my list that probably deserved a top 10 spot IMO ..
Andrew Rogers. I thought he should have won 1993 Margery Medal

a bad omission

Last edited by goddy11 on Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazz Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:58 pm

Too right goddy11. I remember the paper headline in 1987 saying Andrew who? when he was selected
at CHB to stand Dermie in the state game. Leslie give him a slap in 86 and Rogers more than held his own
in 87. Played solid AFL footy for essendon and geelong before an outstanding end to his career at Oval Ave.
Gazz
Gazz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:44 pm

Just doing a bit more research How could I forget Michael Long. B/F at Torrens 1988 and moved to Essendon. I would move him into No2 position on my list
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:52 am

Sorry I have let my posts on West Torrens/Eagles players drafted to the AFL since 1986 slip. A few rennos to do and a little bit of a revision of my list was necessary.
I have taken into account several posts that have been made and would like to point out the following. Being a West Torrens supporter I only took into account West Torrens players drafted from 1986 to 1990, and then Eagle players from 1991 to 2019. Therefore, this knocks out some very good players from Woodville such as A Rogers, R Champion, A Taylor, J Klug, A Jakovich, and R Negri. Also, Matthew Rendell went to Fitzroy before 1986 so hasn't been included, the same for Steven Stretch. I did miss one very, very good player that played for West Torrens before being drafted in to the AFL, this will cause a slight revision. The player wasn't listed in official records as coming from West Torrens. Just be patient while I do final adjustments.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:52 pm

There’s 3 players out of my best 22 (Rendell, Stretch and Rogers). Have readjusted! Wimpy, by the time you’ve finished this Lukosious will be in the top 10!

My 40-31

40. Pesch
39. Skipworth
38. Ellis-Yolmen
37. Lukosious
36. Knight
35. Schache
34. Shattock
33. Pyman
32. Petrenko
31. Stewart
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:42 am

Aerie wrote:There’s 3 players out of my best 22 (Rendell, Stretch and Rogers). Have readjusted! Wimpy, by the time you’ve finished this Lukosious will be in the top 10!

My 40-31

40. Pesch
39. Skipworth
38. Ellis-Yolmen
37. Lukosious
36. Knight
35. Schache
34. Shattock
33. Pyman
32. Petrenko
31. Stewart

"Aerie" You'll find out now where I have ranked Lukosius.
My revised 40 -31 is:
40) Lukosius J. (23* AFL games)
39) Pesch N. (35)
38) Pyman R. (40)
37) Cox B. (36*)
36) Crowell A. (44)
35) Ellis-Yolmen (39*)
34) Skipworth H. (55)
33) Knight R. (54*)
32) Shattock A. (68)
31) Prymke P. (40)

Apologies to, Toumpas, Schache and S. Freeborn. It is more than likely Lukosius, Cox, Ellis-Yolmen and Knight will move up the rankings when they have played more games.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:34 am

My next best 10. 30 - 21.

30)  M Werner  (60)
29)  J Petrenko  (76)
28)  P Stewart  (101)
27)  L Dunstan  (103*)
26)  K Kingsley  (125)
25)  C Sutcliffe  (109*)
24)  J Tape  (91)
23)  T Hentschel  (71)
22)  S McMahon  (124)
21)  P Bulluss  (97)

Moving in to the long term AFL players now.
It's surprising how many AFL games some of the next 20 played.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next