is needed cos teams find us predictable and beatable
come finals
Gazz
Gazz
Admin

Back to top Go down

done Empty Re: done

Post by Peter69 Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Overall the end of a good few years i'd say, apart from the ultimate you have to admit they were pretty darn good. This mob has basically run it's course so i'm sure next year's side will be basically unrecognisable, it has to be as finals losses do take their toll on the psyche.

Question is do we go the way of a younger fitter more skilled side and totally rebuild or go out recruiting for the Jimmy Toumpas, Bernie Vince types to hang in there. Like I said in my other post fitness and skills are needed for sure. As long as the SANFL lives then i'm sure we'll be a power.

Last edited by Peter69 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : damn typo!!)
Peter69
Peter69

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:21 pm

Hard to feel positive at the moment but think you have summed it up well Gazz and Peter.

At the beginning of the year it would be fair to say the expectation for the season from most supporters weren't that high but as the season went on those expectations probably changed so it's hard to decide if we have ended up above expectation or below because you would hope that a premiership is the goal every year.

My theory might be totally left field but I think the gradual return of the injured players was when things started to go a bit pear shaped. When the injuries came over that mid season stretch the replacements were all guys who were given an opportunity (maybe earlier than anticipated) grabbed it and slotted in nicely and they were all match fit as they had been learning their craft in the 2's.
Once the A graders started to return we started playing blokes who while they were physically fit and over injuries perhaps they weren't match fit. During that mid season period we pinched a few close wins which had they gone against us we probably end up 3rd or 4th at the end of the minor round.

Congrats to Jack Lukosius for his first game today, probably about the 10th rookie for the year, he will be great to watch next year I think.
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter69 Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:53 pm

Thanks Columbo, yep really raw here still. I do agree with your left field theory, the key is when its implemented it's consistent for all. If not that just sends mixed messages that some individuals are higher rated than others so best just not send the message, it's a total team effort.
Peter69
Peter69

Back to top Go down

Post by Reddeer Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:57 pm

A bitterly disapponting end to the season
The supporters of this club deserve a lot better than the rubbish dished up over the last 6 weeks
One Comment FOR GODS SAKE KICK THE BALL IT IS NOT HANDBALL
It does one thing though Continues the history of West Torrens The club that promised so much and delivered SO little and had finals hoodoos for years
Not much point in producing any more books from here
Perhaps it might be your turn Spelly
Reddeer

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Very disappointing end to the season, but the writing was on the wall when we won only one of our last six matches.
"Peter 69" says this mob has run it's course, the impression I get from this statement is that these players have been around for quite awhile and will need to be cleaned out. Well, in fact we had a huge turnover at the start of this season. We only averaged 11.8 players each game that were in our 2016 grand final team. It appears we already had a clean out. We played nine first gamers and one new to our club.
I would think that Wundke would retire along with Lewis (he will get married in March 2018). I don't think McGregor has much to offer and should be dumped, only kicked 16 goals this season as against 32 last season.
Where does Nick Hayes play, his best form was at FF and the team played well, I would think he and Lukosius would vie for the FF position next season. Rucking is huge problem we got slaughtered in the ruck and clearances on Sunday but the worst feature of our game was our skill errors.
I feel at times we played too many of our better players in defence, leaving us deficient in attack and on ball.
By far the two biggest pluses were Sinor and Johansen.
Rumours are that Jake von B will be back, Jimmy Toumpas is a chance depending on his contract with the power. The club has apparently spoken to a couple of magpie players. The President has said we can't compete with the more financial clubs so we will have to develop our own. We must not forget we will have Jack Lukosius next year except for AIS and U18 committments. I don't think it will be doom and gloom next year, we always hang in.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum