+3
Reddeer
Peter69
Goddsy11
7 posters

Go down

jay schulz Empty jay schulz

Post by Goddsy11 Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:02 pm

Do we go after him. My thoughts yes. One of the best kicks for goal Ive seen. Pav better

VETERAN forward Jay Schulz has declared he wants to play on after being delisted by Port Adelaide on Thursday.

Schulz, who crossed to the Power in 2010 and played 122 games for the club, did not have his contract renewed and will play his last game for the club against Gold Coast on Saturday night.

The 31-year-old said he was disappointed with the club's decision but left on good terms and was thankful for the opportunity he had been given after starting his career at Richmond.

"I’ve loved my time at Port Adelaide and will always be thankful to the club, in particular 'Choco' (Mark Williams), for giving me a chance," Schulz said.

"While I’m disappointed with the club’s decision to let me go I understand and respect the reasons behind it, and wish them all the best with what I’m sure will be a bright future.

"Personally, I think I have a couple of years of footy left in me and I look forward to developing off-field too.

"Helping young players get the best out of themselves is a passion of mine and I’m keen to pursue a career in coaching once my playing days are over."
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

jay schulz Empty Re: jay schulz

Post by Peter69 Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:49 pm

There'll be a few ex eagles coming out the AFL system as usual. I'm sure the Club looks hard at each and every one of them too. How well can we juggle the Salary Cap though?
Peter69
Peter69

Back to top Go down

Post by Reddeer Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:55 pm

Peter69 wrote:There'll be a few ex eagles coming out the AFL system as usual. I'm sure the Club looks hard at each and every one of them too. How well can we juggle the Salary Cap though?
Stuff the salary cap The insurgents have got one so why should the real clubs
Reddeer

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:32 pm

Salary caps aside, the real issue is that the Eagles (and most of the other clubs) are doing it tough financially, paying players beyond the club's means. We've got to spend wisely, no more broken-down ex-AFL recruits and if we pay big money, we got to see a return.
And the Eagles spent wisely this year with Nick O'Brien and Redden.
Did Norwood achieve that with expensive Lewis Johnston or Sturt with 31 year old McMahon?
Unless Jay Schulz came dirt cheap, I wouldn't go after him. 31 years old, having back surgery this year. Would be at risk of losing promising 21 year old Jack Hayes who isn't going to hang around playing Seconds for another year.
Now, if the versatile Paul Stewart was delisted, the Eagles should chase him - can play as a tall or short defender or in attack and is fit and younger.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Hareeba Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:19 pm

Premiers...spot on.
Schulz's body suggests he is just about done so would not contemplate him, we have some very likely lads already in the system who will get the next opportunities.
I would say Sturt has done well with McMahon, I thought he was way past playing every game but I do know with his assistant coaching role he is being paid a hefty sum so good luck to him.
If Paul Stewart became available he would fit in well and he is a true Eagle.
There are a few others who may pop up...Karpany...but we do owe opportunities to the likes of Sinor, Comit, Whittlesea, Hayes in the following season.
I would love to see O'Brien for a few more years, he is a great lad and his forward role has become very important.
Hareeba
Hareeba

Back to top Go down

Post by Reddeer Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:14 pm

Jay played 3 games for the Eagles in 2010 and his best effort was 5 goals in one game.
Don't think he would be as good 7 years on. Port are more likely to keep him as a marque player for the reserves side
Reddeer

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:56 pm

Premiers wrote:Salary caps aside, the real issue is that the Eagles (and most of the other clubs) are doing it tough financially, paying players beyond the club's means. We've got to spend wisely, no more broken-down ex-AFL recruits and if we pay big money, we got to see a return.
And the Eagles spent wisely this year with Nick O'Brien and Redden.
Did Norwood achieve that with expensive Lewis Johnston or Sturt with 31 year old McMahon?
Unless Jay Schulz came dirt cheap, I wouldn't go after him. 31 years old, having back surgery this year. Would be at risk of losing promising 21 year old Jack Hayes who isn't going to hang around playing Seconds for another year.
Now, if the versatile Paul Stewart was delisted, the Eagles should chase him - can play as a tall or short defender or in attack and is fit and younger.

Did not think of Stewart. Would be a good get.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:21 pm

Premiers wrote:Now, if the versatile Paul Stewart was delisted, the Eagles should chase him - can play as a tall or short defender or in attack and is fit and younger.

Yes. I thought he would be good to replace Flash, if he was available to be picked up.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:56 pm

spell_check wrote:
Premiers wrote:Now, if the versatile Paul Stewart was delisted, the Eagles should chase him - can play as a tall or short defender or in attack and is fit and younger.

Yes. I thought he would be good to replace Flash, if he was available to be picked up.

I think flashes replacement is in the seconds in Bately
But we could use Stewart im not certain about Schulz seeing Cloak asked to be traded in melbourne anything could happen
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:45 am

Any thought on Mitchell. A real ball magnet. Theres been no movement on Stewart from Port yet.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:35 am

Re Mitchell,
Few things to consider:
1. For the few games he played for the Eagles, he appeared disinterested - he played better AFL footy than he ever did for us.
2. Therefore, his asking price to join us especially being a Western Australian boy would likely be expensive. Better to find a cheaper midfielder who is going to stay 3 seasons and really put in.
But on the other hand, we do need another fast midfielder next year but almost every club asks for that. Can see a lot of upside in young Gaffney developing into a classy midfielder over the next 2 years.

And, if he becomes available, Paul Stewart.

Virtually a "new recruit" next year because we didn't see him this year due to injury/fitness is 195cm Cameron Giles - the brief glimpses in the Seconds showed he has some talent.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:43 pm

Premiers wrote:Re Mitchell,
Few things to consider:
1. For the few games he played for the Eagles, he appeared disinterested - he played better AFL footy than he ever did for us.
2. Therefore, his asking price to join us especially being a Western Australian boy would likely be expensive. Better to find a cheaper midfielder who is going to stay 3 seasons and really put in.
But on the other hand, we do need another fast midfielder next year but almost every club asks for that. Can see a lot of upside in young Gaffney developing into a classy midfielder over the next 2 years.

And, if he becomes available, Paul Stewart.

Virtually a "new recruit" next year because we didn't see him this year due to injury/fitness is 195cm Cameron Giles - the brief glimpses in the Seconds showed he has some talent.

good points
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down