GOLDY NOTCHES 100

3 posters

Go down

GOLDY NOTCHES 100 Empty GOLDY NOTCHES 100

Post by Mickyj Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:14 pm

Matthew Goldsworthy admits he was coming to the ‘’unknown’’ when he arrived at Oval Avenue as a fresh-faced teenager.

The boy from Curramulka didn’t know if he would make it at SANFL level but he wanted to do everything in his power to find out.

Since starting with Woodville-West Torrens’ Under-17s in 2007, Goldsworthy now finds himself chalking up his 100th League match at the age of just 22.

Set to reach his century in Sunday’s clash with South at Hickinbotham Oval, Goldsworthy’s decision to turn his life upside down as a 17-year-old has certainly been vindicated.

‘’I’m pretty proud as it is a good achievement,’’ said Goldsworthy, 177cm and 74kg.

‘’When I started at the Eagles, it wasn’t something that I set out to do. I just wanted to come down and see where it would go from there. And I have exceeded how far I thought I would get
which is exciting.‘’

Just days after finishing his final Year 12 exam at Minlaton District School, Goldsworthy packed his bags for the big smoke.

‘’I had no idea what was in front of me – I was coming down to the unknown really,’’ said Goldsworthy, who played with the CMS Crows on Yorke Peninsula as a 15-year-old.

‘’When I finished Year 12, it was my first league pre-season under (former Eagles coach) Ron Fuller. I got a job straight away and I haven’t turned back ever since really.’’

Less than one season into his tenure with the Eagles, Goldsworthy found himself making his league debut as a skinny half-forward playing against Sturt at Unley in 2008.

His opponent? Former Carlton and Adelaide defender Ben Nelson, who Goldsworthy remembered as a ‘’big man.’’

‘’It was definitely a good introduction to the SANFL,’’ said Goldsworthy, an employee at Dalton Landscaping with team-mate Caleb Lloyd.

‘’I just remember how big he (Nelson) was as I was so small back then. Looking back, I probably got a taste of it a bit early and I wasn’t quite ready. But Ronnie (Fuller) was big on giving young blokes a chance.

‘’That’s why I have played so many games this early in my career, because I did get thrown in so soon.’’

Already with a premiership – in 2011 - under his belt, Goldsworthy is beginning to appreciate his achievement even more with each season.

‘’Because I was only 20, it is only now after going out of the finals in straight sets, you realise just how hard it is to win one,’’ said Goldsworthy, installed into the Eagles’ leadership group this year.

‘’It is a very special day and to play within that sort of atmosphere was amazing. These last couple of years have made me realise you have to work hard and have some good luck along the way.

‘’We’ve made a good start this year so hopefully we can keep it going.’’
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

GOLDY NOTCHES 100 Empty Re: GOLDY NOTCHES 100

Post by Columbo Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:46 pm

Congrats Goldy!
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dobber Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:32 pm

Great player. And well done to Ronny for pushing him up so early, rather than paying big bucks to get mercenaries from other clubs.
Dobber
Dobber

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum