SCOTTY’S STORY OF SUCCESS

Go down

SCOTTY’S STORY OF SUCCESS Empty SCOTTY’S STORY OF SUCCESS

Post by Mickyj Wed May 29, 2013 11:50 am

SCOTTY’S STORY OF SUCCESS

May 29, 2013 ·..

By ZAC MILBANK |Twitter @zacmilbank

It would be easy to think success has come easily for Scott Lewis.

The Woodville-West Torrens midfielder’s playing resume features a premiership in all four SANFL grades.

First, it was an Under-17 title with West Adelaide in 2002 where he played alongside the likes of future Brownlow Medallist Adam Cooney and West Coast premiership player Beau Waters.

Next was an Under-19 flag with the Bloods in 2004 before achieving the ultimate at Reserves level with Glenelg in 2007.

But the best of all was a League premiership with the Eagles in 2011, topping the amazing journey Lewis has ridden in reaching his 100-game milestone against Central District on Saturday.

‘’It was at three different clubs so I can’t really say it was that good,’’ said Lewis, who modestly played down his amazing feat.

‘’The minor ones can’t really compare to the league one because of the amount of people who are at the grand final and then the celebrations afterwards.’’

The neat-kicking left-footer certainly earned his premiership medallion with the Eagles the hard way.

After leaving the Bloods to return to his home club of Loxton North midway through 2006, Lewis found himself at Glenelg in 2007.

Despite regularly appearing in the best players for the Tigers’ seconds in his two-year stint at Brighton Road, his opportunities at league level were limited.

He claimed the 2008 Reserves Magarey Medal while playing for the Bays but headed to North Clare to play with his brother Richard in 2009.

Sensing he still had something to offer in the SANFL, Lewis – 185cm and 90kg -began talks with South Adelaide.

‘’But then I got a phone call and was told that I was too old and in didn’t fit into their (South’s) structure,’’ Lewis recalled.

Enter Michael Godden.

The man who had coached Lewis at West Adelaide and Glenelg was eager to have the hard-running midfielder join him at Oval Avenue in 2010.

‘’It’s certainly worked out pretty well since then,’’ Lewis said with a laugh.

‘’I had only played 25 (league) games by that time and it had been a fair journey up to then but he’s (Godden) been at each club I’ve been at the whole time.

‘’It just shows that he’s the one who has had the faith in me and kept me going.’’

Asked why Godden has continued to back him in, Lewis said he was unsure.

‘’I suppose being a country lad and coming from similar areas…he’s from Lameroo and I’m from Loxton,’’ said Lewis, who has just begun a four-year mechanical apprenticeship at Maughan Thiem
Hyundai.

‘’There’s been games where I should have been dropped but I haven’t been because he feels I need to prove myself and that I have more to show at certain times.

‘’I’ve always looked up to him and he’s looked after me very well. I haven’t met anyone who hasn’t said a nice thing about him yet. He’s a smart man and he takes time to listen to everyone even
if he doesn’t agree with what they have got to say. In all, he’s just a great person.’’

As a result, the 26-year-old – who shaved off his trademark dreadlocks for charity this year – is far from finished experiencing premiership success with Godden.

‘’Playing in another flag would be my main goal,’’ Lewis said.

‘’I can’t really venture to anything else (the AFL) as I am too old for that so having some more success at the footy club is all you can really push for.’’
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

SCOTTY’S STORY OF SUCCESS Empty Re: SCOTTY’S STORY OF SUCCESS

Post by Mickyj Wed May 29, 2013 11:51 am

Thank you Ron Fuller for sending him away !!!
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down