Reality exceeds Day's dreams

Go down

Reality exceeds Day's dreams Empty Reality exceeds Day's dreams

Post by Mickyj Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:38 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/reality-exceeds-days-dreams/story-e6frecj3-1226214581577?from=public_rss

AARON Day just wanted to cement his place in Woodville-West Torrens' league team this season.

Little did the 22-year-old realise, within the space of eight months, he would not only have a premiership medal hanging around his neck but an invitation to train with AFL club Essendon this summer.

Not bad for someone who couldn't break into Glenelg's best 21 in 2009.

Day played in two Tigers reserves premierships under Michael Godden before following his mentor to Oval Avenue in 2010.

Day was tapped on the shoulder earlier this year by Eagles operations manager Trent Hentschel, who informed him of AFL interest.

But the dashing defender didn't realise how serious that interest was until his phone rang in the lead-up to last month's national draft.

"I got a call from Merv Keane (Essendon) recruiting officer," Day said

"I caught up with him and Adrian Dodoro (Essendon recruiting manager) and they invited me out to training to see how I perform against the guys already on their list.

"Merv said he had been watching me throughout the year and that they liked what they saw and that there could be a possible position on the list as a mature-age rookie."

Standing at 190cm and 96kg, Day showed off his ability to play on tall and small opponents in the SANFL finals while also providing valuable rebound from defence.

One week into his stint with the Bombers, Day has had one-on-one tasks against Stewart Crameri and Paddy Ryder to test his ability in match simulation.

Day is revelling in the advice given to him by Bombers coach James Hird.

"He just said to give it your best while you are here and enjoy it at the same time," Day said
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum