Hentschel's career on knife edge

Go down

Hentschel's career on knife edge Empty Hentschel's career on knife edge

Post by Mickyj Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:11 pm

Hentschel's career on knife edge

Matt Turner From: The Messenger October 12, 2010 3:58PM

DETERMINED: Eagles forward Trent Hentschel is keen to play on next season though the final decision could rest with his doctors. Picture: Cathy Mundy Source: AdelaideNow

LUCKLESS Woodville-West Torrens forward Trent Hentschel is bracing himself for news his football career might be over two months after a return to the SANFL reignited his love of the sport.

Bone damage in Hentschel's troublesome right knee, badly injured while playing for the Crows in 2006, causes regular bleeding and there are doubts the knee can stand up to another year of football.

While he is keen to play on, the 27-year-old's footballing fate will be decided by his long-time surgeon Richard Clarnette, as well as Crows and Eagles doctors, at a meeting later this week.

"I've given it a fair crack and if it doesn't work out I'll know it wasn't to do with work ethic or anything like that that you can control," Hentschel said.

"The knee doesn't feel too bad at the moment ... but it's pretty unpredictable so I don't think I can definitely say it will hold up.

"If the surgeons and doctors say that it might and they're hopeful still, then I'm willing to have another crack."

Following his retirement from the AFL in August, Hentschel returned to Woodville ahead of the Eagles' finals campaign.

Regular and lengthy spells on the sidelines during his AFL career had frustrated Hentschel, who managed just 71 games in nine seasons for the Crows.

"I guess it (football) was becoming not enjoyable and not fun any more being injured so much," said Hentschel, who played six games and kicked six goals for the Eagles this year.

"But going back to the Eagles late in the year was definitely a different environment so that reinvigorated me, I guess, and made me look at things a bit differently. It definitely made me want to play next year."

Hentschel's career with the Eagles began when he arrived at Woodville from Northern Territory Football League club Palmerston as an 18 year old in 2001.

The skinny forward had shifted to Adelaide to increase his chances of being drafted, and despite only playing a handful of games that year felt at home in an Eagles guernsey.

"All the old blokes that were there that I still see around the place made me feel welcome from day one so it's always been good to go back there."

Though the game has been cruel to him, Hentschel said he had no regrets.

"If you'd have said to me when I was in Darwin at 17 or 18 years old that I'd be on Adelaide's list for nine years and I'd have a pretty bad injury but I'd play 70 games, I'd have taken that every day of the week.

"I still consider myself real lucky to have the career I've had.''
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum