Night matches next year

5 posters

Go down

Night matches next year Empty Night matches next year

Post by spell_check Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:45 pm

Are we going to get any? We were the only team not to get a night match last year, and Wests crowds were above us for the first time ever because of their lights. So, I hope we will look to schedule one at Adelaide Oval early in the year.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Night matches next year Empty Re: Night matches next year

Post by Mickyj Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:35 pm

We will get at least 1 aren't all Wests home games at night in 2011
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MightyEagles Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:28 am

Who knows. have to wait till the draw comes out. At least the u18s got a couple night games this year.
MightyEagles
MightyEagles

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:06 pm

Well, if South gets lights, then we will probably end up with the lowest home match crowds. We can't get them at Woodville thanks to that council, and the SAAFL sound like an incompetent bunch of people, so Thebarton Oval won't be getting the upgrade anytime soon either.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by zest Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:59 pm

spell_check wrote:Well, if South gets lights, then we will probably end up with the lowest home match crowds. We can't get them at Woodville thanks to that council, and the SAAFL sound like an incompetent bunch of people, so Thebarton Oval won't be getting the upgrade anytime soon either.

Even if thebarton get them whats the point of playing there when the club would still lose money.

high crowds would be great but money is more important for the clubs survival it cant take on heavy losses
zest
zest
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:57 pm

Can't disagree with that, although I don't see how one match a year at Thebarton would harm the finances. How much crowd does there need to be to break even? If you played one night match at Thebarton next year (if it happens) you would probably get 7-8,000.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:18 pm

spell_check wrote:Can't disagree with that, although I don't see how one match a year at Thebarton would harm the finances. How much crowd does there need to be to break even? If you played one night match at Thebarton next year (if it happens) you would probably get 7-8,000.

I think you may well find spelly that the club got the sanfl to pay for the either just the last game or the last couple at thebbie.Not viable for the club as everything needs to be taken to the ground.
Night game I'm not certain there was a very large crowd for that sham 6 quarter trial in the pre season
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:24 pm

Who would got to a trial game anyway? As you said it's a sham, they have screwed around with the format of those matches since we played that trial against Glenelg in 2001. That match had about 2-3000 there, simply because it was the first match at Thebarton since 1990.

Anyway, lets face facts, we will have the lowest home average crowd next year. To get a proper comparison, we should just take out the night matches of the other teams. That gives me a good idea.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:39 pm

There you go, the figure on the left is 2010 home match average crowds during the day only, in brackets is with night matches included:

Glenelg 4191
Norwood 3489 (4193)
Unley 3189
Alberton 2941
Elizabeth 2932 (3141)
Richmond 2388 (2975)
Woodville 2346
Prospect 2329
Noarlunga 2249

And what else kept our crowds below Richmond?

Number of TV matches by venue:

Elizabeth 5
Woodville 5
Noarlunga 3
Prospect 3
Unley 3
Alberton 2
Glenelg 2
Norwood 1
Richmond 1

That's right, we had the most and Richmond the least.

And when Glenelg came to Woodville, it was cold and windy. Crowd was 1681. When Glenelg visited Richmond; fine and sunny. Crowd 3513.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by zest Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:10 pm

being on tv helps with the sponsers, as i have heard that some stay with us because of our large amount of tv games
zest
zest
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:35 pm

Well, if South gets lights, then we will probably end up with the lowest home match crowds. We can't get them at Woodville thanks to that council, and the SAAFL sound like an incompetent bunch of people, so Thebarton Oval won't be getting the upgrade anytime soon either.

Well aware of the problem Spelly and whilst I have little role in getting a home game underlights the home match promotions will be ramped up again next year so even if we do come last it will be on the back of three straight years of growth.

We should have broken 2,500 pg last year (& pipped North) but some horrid weather, and election and ABCTV coverage did not help.

Certainly expecting to break 2,500 next year (if that makes us the worst so be it, that would make three staight years of growth) and the eventual aim is an average of 3,000.

Baring a sudden spurt from a one off event (ie night game) this is still two-three seasons away even if everything in my role works as planned.
PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:00 pm

PhilH wrote:

Well aware of the problem Spelly and whilst I have little role in getting a home game underlights the home match promotions will be ramped up again next year so even if we do come last it will be on the back of three straight years of growth.

We should have broken 2,500 pg last year (& pipped North) but some horrid weather, and election and ABCTV coverage did not help.

Certainly expecting to break 2,500 next year (if that makes us the worst so be it, that would make three staight years of growth) and the eventual aim is an average of 3,000.

Baring a sudden spurt from a one off event (ie night game) this is still two-three seasons away even if everything in my role works as planned.

keep winning games best advice that will bring back the faithful!!
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:44 pm

Don't worry Phil, I know your efforts definitely do make a difference. Smile You can only do the best you can, and I know you are doing just that.

All I'm hoping for is to get one match at Adelaide Oval under lights next season. Hopefully against the likes of either Glenelg or Sturt.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down