Brother and Sister act

Go down

Brother and Sister act Empty Brother and Sister act

Post by Mickyj Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:38 pm

From Adelaide now
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/brother-and-sister-act/story-fn525un5-1225895771427
THEIR healthy football rivalry began in the backyard and now Fulham siblings Nathan and Kim Batley are matching each other on the national stage.

Last week Kim, 15, followed in her brother's footsteps by earning selection in the state under-18 team.

She will play for SA during the girls national under-18 titles in September just months after Nathan, 17, helped the Croweaters finish second at the national boys carnival.

Nathan, who has played five reserves games for Woodville-West Torrens, said the siblings had kicked the footy regularly together for about six years.

``Kim's always been skilful and I've always liked having a kick with her,'' he said.

``I always tell people she's good, but not as good as me.

``A lot of days before school and some days when we've got nothing else to do, we'll just go to the oval for a kick.

``I originally thought she just wanted to have kicks ... I didn't realise she was serious (about playing football).''

Nathan, a dashing defender who ran the Bay Sheffield last December, will nominate for this year's AFL draft.

``That's the ultimate footy to play AFL footy or get on a list.

``I've just got to put in the hard yards, do all the little extra things and see what happens at the end of the year.

``I want to keep playing well and hopefully play well enough to get a league game (at the Eagles) before the end of the season.''

Kim, who trains with Port Magpies women's team and plays for St Michael's College, said she looked up to her brother.

``He taught me how to kick properly,'' she said.

``We don't kick as often now but still when we have spare time we like to have a kick and some fun.''

Peter Batley said he was proud of his children.

``They've got a real healthy rivalry and a real healthy respect,'' he said.

``It's a bit of a proud moment for a parent to see both of them get a state jumper.''

The Batleys have been nominated for the Messenger Community News Youth Sports Awards. To nominate a talented 10-18 year old, visit messengernews.com.au

Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum