Five Eagles named in state squad

Go down

Five Eagles named in state squad Empty Five Eagles named in state squad

Post by Mickyj Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:52 pm

SANFL News

11 Apr 2013

33 IN WEST END STATE SQUAD

North Adelaide speedster Matt Campbell, Norwood spearhead Matthew Panos and Sturt captain Michael Coad are among a host of new faces named in this year’s West End State Team.

Delisted by AFL clubs last season, the trio will add plenty of experience and versatility to the 33-man squad which will be trimmed closer to the SANFL’s clash with the NEAFL on May 11 at City Mazda Stadium.

Campbell, who played 82 AFL matches for North Melbourne, will provide plenty of pace while Panos (Western Bulldogs) and Coad (Gold Coast) can play a variety of roles should they be selected by coach Michael Godden.

‘’He’s a North Adelaide boy back from North Melbourne and he’s very exciting to watch,’’ SANFL chairman of selectors Stephen Rowe said of Campbell.

‘’He’s playing a different role for North Adelaide than what we would use him for in the state game, I’ve spoken to (North coach) Josh Francou about that but his form is building.’’

Gun Woodville-West Torrens forward Andrew Ainger and flexible West Adelaide utility Jon Beech are also among those in line to make their debut in the famous red guernsey.

‘’Ainger, gee whiz I like him as he’s a big key forward who can take a contested grab,’’ Rowe said.

‘’The other bloke who I’m pleased to name in the squad is young Beechy. He was stiff to miss out last year; we really anguished over that decision.

‘’So I’m really hoping his good early form continues and we can slide him in.’’

Club captains Coad, Ryan Ferguson, Kieran McGuinness, James Meiklejohn, Ty Allen, Luke Powell and Paul Thomas are among the experienced members picked with a final decision on the captaincy to be made closer to the match.

‘’One great thing is that we’ve got a lot depth in that leadership and experience department,’’ Rowe said.

The SANFL has finalised its coaching panel to surround Godden, with former Glenelg coach Mark Mickan and Central assistant John Platten controlling the midfield. Former Port reserves coach Bryan Beinke will be in charge of the
defence while former Norwood reserves mentor Jarrod Cotton will pay close attention to the forward structure.

Training will commence at AAMI Stadium next Tuesday with the schedule to ramp up with three sessions in the week leading up to the big clash on May 11.

‘’They get to meet each other and liaise with each other which is good,’’ Rowe said.

‘’When I played for the state I used to love coming here and meeting the opposition and then getting to bond with them. Then, on that one day you get to play in this terrific jumper, it’s just terrific.

‘’I know they all pencil in the state game as a goal to make the squad, make the team and play for their state. And while we’ve got that, we’ve got something special.’’

2013 West End State Squad

Central District - Paul Thomas, James Boyd, Ryan Williams, Brayden O’Hara
Glenelg – Ruory Kirkby, Ty Allen
North Adelaide – Matt Campbell, Leigh Ryswyk, George Thring, Todd Miles
Norwood – Jace Bode, Alex Georgiou, Kieran McGuinness, Brett Zorzi, Matthew Panos
Port Adelaide – James Meiklejohn, Sam Gray, Kory Beard
South Adelaide – Michael Wundke, Nick Liddle, Joel Cross
Sturt – Michael Coad, Fraser Evans
West Adelaide – Chris Schmidt, Jon Beech, Ryan Ferguson, Daniel Caire, Joel Tippett
Woodville-West Torrens – Luke Powell, Andrew Ainger, Matthew Goldsworthy, Luke Jarrad, Craig Parry

Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down