Mickyj
Gazz
The Barton
Goddsy11
wimpy
14 posters

Page 12 of 18 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next

Go down

WHAT DOES 2021 HOLD FOR THE EAGLES? - Page 12 Empty Re: WHAT DOES 2021 HOLD FOR THE EAGLES?

Post by Eagles35 Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:59 pm

Wouldn't be surprised that he'd be playing aside Matthew Jaensch at Hahndorf as I'm sure they're great mates as Matthew used to tag me on social media on Jared's comments or so and I've met him before too I'm sure he's from there
Eagles35
Eagles35

Back to top Go down

WHAT DOES 2021 HOLD FOR THE EAGLES? - Page 12 Empty Re: WHAT DOES 2021 HOLD FOR THE EAGLES?

Post by hawke Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:43 pm

Interesting how the Eagles have picked up a couple of valuable recruiters.
James Tsitas. Responsible for convincing his mate Dane McFarlane to join the Eagles
Andrew Ainger. Responsible for advising Rory Lehman to join Eagles. Also last year, got Liam Buxton to try out although that didn't work out.
Not easy establishing a good regional recruiting network. For many years, Centrals succeeded with players from Riverine area.
I had hoped when Mark McKenzie returned to Melbourne on the Hawthorn staff in their VFL program that he might convince any disenchanted VFL players to try Eagles but we never scored on that one. Interesting whether Glenelg and Ken Hand are establishing a good connection with Darwin footy.

hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:39 am

Re your comment, Woody, on Harrison Morgan, he played some very good Seconds games for us last year. But as a HF flanker, realistically he's going to be chasing Mitch Hardie, Zane Williams, Troy Menzel and Daniel (if he ever gets fit!) and then some of the midfielders who rotate through HF/F pocket) like Poole, Knight and Tsitas so it's going to be very competitive for him. Even Goldsworthy might return to the HF flank with a runner like Dane McFarlane taking Goldsworthy's wing.
But, when the trials begin, some of our lauded recruits may not perform as we expected. And it would be encouraging if Daniel Menzel could string together some strong training sessions.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:34 pm

hawke wrote:Mishae Wollogerang's speed and skill don't look out of place at senior training. From reports, he is enthusiastically working hard in the gym to put on some kgs. Will probably play Seconds but ? whether his age might allow him to play as an over-aged player in the U18s.  
Asfaha appears to have strengthened his upper body while recovering with his broken leg - hope he manages to play at least half a season because he was showing big improvement in the Seconds throughout last season.

Talking to the medical staff, they said it would be highly unlikely that Asfaha would play in the coming season. He definitely has some league skills. He is a bit of a cult figure at the club, the players love him.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:45 pm

Woody wrote:Word from the Nest is that Pup will not be playing at Oval Ave this season. Probably playing for Hahndorf in the Hills League.

Mathew Dennis appears to be off to Tassie next season so no chance for the Eagles.

I agree with you Hawke re; Barnett. I rate the young fellow and look forward to his progress as a centre player.

Likewise, agree with Wimpy, Zane Williams is a very talented player. I would also like to see 'Mad Dog' Morgan get a game in the league team. He is gutsy player a good around the goals.

Harry Morgan has been a tease for a couple of seasons now. His 2020 season wasn't as good as his 2019 season. About half way through the 2019 season when he was finally settled at half forward he kicked about 35 goals in the second half of the season, i was always hoping he would be given a league game, but it wasn't to be. I don't think he is quite up to it. You would think Zane Williams, Mitch Hardie and possibly Matty Goldsworthy or Troy Menzel would be well a head of him now. Remember he was dropped for the reserves finals.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:51 pm

hawke wrote:Interesting how the Eagles have picked up a couple of valuable recruiters.
James Tsitas.  Responsible for convincing his mate Dane McFarlane to join the Eagles
Andrew Ainger. Responsible for advising Rory Lehman to join Eagles. Also last year, got Liam Buxton to try out although that didn't work out.
Not easy establishing a good regional recruiting network. For many years, Centrals succeeded with players from Riverine area.
I had hoped when Mark McKenzie returned to Melbourne on the Hawthorn staff in their VFL program that he might convince any disenchanted VFL players to try Eagles but we never scored on that one.  Interesting whether Glenelg and Ken Hand are establishing a good connection with Darwin footy.

"It's a lot easier to sell a premiership club and a club that has been very consistent for thirty years.
I think Mark Mckenzie is now head of Hawthorn's recruiting. I've seen him at some of the Eagles games and when U18 nationals are on. I'm pretty sure Powelly and Macca are pretty close and I'm sure both would exploit that relationship."

wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagles35 Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:03 am

I'd think their was a handul that could've played league and still could play league, not sure if he's still around but someone would know like a Brill was one who was mentioned that could play league and a few others like that could play league too
Eagles35
Eagles35

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:56 am

Talking to the medical staff, they said it would be highly unlikely that Asfaha would play in the coming season. He definitely has some league skills. He is a bit of a cult figure at the club, the players love him.[/quote]
I'm surprised that the medical staff would say that - Asfaha was running repetition laps last Wenesday night at a a good pace. It would seem a natural progression that he would build this up over 4 weeks of Feb, then introduce change of direction in March. Then sprints, jumping, kicking, ballwork and competitive work over 4 weeks in April, and be ready to play on May 1st.

A feature of Asfaha's football last season was his closing speed, particularly running down the player from behind. His kicking skills also greatly improved within the season. Plenty of upside to his footy.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagles35 Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:01 pm

Well see if they're right or not but was told by Fish that it was a years injury don't know who he was told that by but that's what he told me the day he did it
Eagles35
Eagles35

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:14 pm

Maybe the guy, I saw running at training on Wednesday was a look-a-like Asfaha.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:49 pm

hawke wrote:Maybe the guy, I saw running at training on Wednesday was a look-a-like Asfaha.

Or Running laps and game play tackles bumps ect are totally different on the body 😊
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:30 pm

hawke wrote:Maybe the guy, I saw running at training on Wednesday was a look-a-like Asfaha.

It would have been Asfaha, he always attends training, mainly does running, looks OK, but i think contact drills and playing would be dangerous as the break could be displaced.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:19 pm

Of course, that would be true now but a gradual build up as outlined above from his present surprisingly advanced base of running , would normally see him progress through the transition to playing in another 4 months.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:59 am

As well as Tyson Stengle at training last night, James Tsitas and Dane McFarlane also made an appearance. Tsitas', Darwin team didn't make the finals so he is now in Adelaide for the season, McFarlane will return to Darwin to compete in the finals.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:04 am

There should be an article on Mishai Wollergerang on Adelaide Now this afternoon if anyone is interested.

Last edited by wimpy on Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:16 am

wimpy wrote:There should be an article on Mishae Wollergerang on Adelaide Now this afternoon if anyone is interested.

Thanks Wimpy if I can access it I’ll post it up
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:57 pm

wimpy wrote:There should be an article on Mishae Wollergerang on Adelaide Now this afternoon if anyone is interested.

I can’t access the article so I can’t copy it sorry guys
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:07 pm

Eagles sign talented star from the NT’s Robinson River Mishai Wollogorang for 2021 season
From one of the most remote towns in the Northern Territory to signing with the SANFL’s reigning premier – read the inside story on the Eagles’ latest recruit.

Mishai Wollogorang is a long way from his home in one of the country’s most remote indigenous communities.
But the rising footballer, who hails from Robinson River – a town in the Northern Territory 1350km from Alice Springs with a population of 285 people – has a big dream.
He wants to be the first from Robinson River to play football at a high level.
And he is one step closer after moving almost 3000km away to Adelaide and signing with reigning SANFL premier Woodville-West Torrens.
“At first it was hard, leaving all my family back home, probably one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do, but it’s something that I had to do,” Wollogorang, 19, said.
“My Mum knew it would be the best thing she made me do.
“Hopefully I can make my family proud and most of all my community proud.
“To play in the SANFL is massive and maybe one day in the AFL would be even bigger for not only myself, but for my community.”

New Woodville-West Torrens recruit Mishai Wollogorang. Picture: Russell Millard
The Eagles identified the speedy defender during a community visit to Yirara College in Alice Springs where he had been boarding while completing a Year 13 carpentry traineeship.

He featured with West in the Central Australian Football League last year and was named in the best six times from eight matches.
Wollograng, who had now started an apprenticeship with Eagles major sponsor Maughan Thiem, said he was a bit overwhelmed during his first visit to SA.
But his new teammates and coaches had helped with the transition.
“I remember when I first came here before Christmas, I went to Tea Tree Plaza to do a bit of shopping and there was heaps of people there,” he said.
“I was shocked with the amount of people there, that was pretty much double or three times the amount of people at home.
“I have only played football in front of about 60 or 70 people … (but) the lads at the club have been amazing, they’ve been so welcoming with a big smile, so it’s been good.”
He said earning a spot in the league team would be challenging but he was keen to prove his worth.

“There is a bit of pressure but I’m young so I just want to give it everything I’ve got.
“I’m really looking forward to the experience.”

http://messenger.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:10 pm

goddy11 wrote:Eagles sign talented star from the NT’s Robinson River Mishai Wollogorang for 2021 season
From one of the most remote towns in the Northern Territory to signing with the SANFL’s reigning premier – read the inside story on the Eagles’ latest recruit.

Mishai Wollogorang is a long way from his home in one of the country’s most remote indigenous communities.
But the rising footballer, who hails from Robinson River – a town in the Northern Territory 1350km from Alice Springs with a population of 285 people – has a big dream.
He wants to be the first from Robinson River to play football at a high level.
And he is one step closer after moving almost 3000km away to Adelaide and signing with reigning SANFL premier Woodville-West Torrens.
“At first it was hard, leaving all my family back home, probably one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do, but it’s something that I had to do,” Wollogorang, 19, said.
“My Mum knew it would be the best thing she made me do.
“Hopefully I can make my family proud and most of all my community proud.
“To play in the SANFL is massive and maybe one day in the AFL would be even bigger for not only myself, but for my community.”

New Woodville-West Torrens recruit Mishai Wollogorang. Picture: Russell Millard
The Eagles identified the speedy defender during a community visit to Yirara College in Alice Springs where he had been boarding while completing a Year 13 carpentry traineeship.

He featured with West in the Central Australian Football League last year and was named in the best six times from eight matches.
Wollograng, who had now started an apprenticeship with Eagles major sponsor Maughan Thiem, said he was a bit overwhelmed during his first visit to SA.
But his new teammates and coaches had helped with the transition.
“I remember when I first came here before Christmas, I went to Tea Tree Plaza to do a bit of shopping and there was heaps of people there,” he said.
“I was shocked with the amount of people there, that was pretty much double or three times the amount of people at home.
“I have only played football in front of about 60 or 70 people … (but) the lads at the club have been amazing, they’ve been so welcoming with a big smile, so it’s been good.”
He said earning a spot in the league team would be challenging but he was keen to prove his worth.

“There is a bit of pressure but I’m young so I just want to give it everything I’ve got.
“I’m really looking forward to the experience.”

http://messenger.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

Thanks Goddy
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:03 pm

(Checked with Matt Goldsworthy via Michelle at the WWTFC desk) From now, until Woodville Oval becomes available, training on Monday and Wednesday nights will be at 5.30pm at Seaton Ramblers Oval, which is good being closer than Eastern Reserve, Ottway. (don't know about Friday's training).
What little hope of Jordan Foote making a last minute return to the Eagles appears snuffed out by Jake Sheedy's comment on 5AA Monday evening's sports show when he commented on "losing high echelon players such as Foote and Mansell".
When questioned by Rowe re which young players might emerge from the Seconds, he said Mitchell Mead, Jungfer (only played 3 games), Hoile and Beecken. I had mentioned Beecken in an earlier post and was "chuffed" to know he's on the radar of the "great man"!
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:09 pm

At the AGM coach Sheedy said there was an agreement between Richmond and the Eagles that if Mansell wasn't listed by Richmond he would return to the Eagles. Richmond thought it would be better for his development than trying to play in the new competition on the east coast, because travelling between three states could be disrupted by covid.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:56 am

Another good training session last night - Sheedy had them working at 3 areas of field (defence, centre, forward) bringing the ball away from stoppages. James Tsitas training.
4-5 players in the rehab group training. Couldn't identify them except Asfaha and West. Asfaha, doing quick change of direction stuff. The rehab group must have done at least 8 laps of the oval in 400 metre bursts at 75% pace. Unsure of West's surgery but appears to be running well.
Louis Sharrad has trimmed down. I thought he was playing better in the 2nd half of last season when he was paying more attention to winning the ball rather than attacking his opponent. Definitely better suited to half - back. But has a lot of quicker players ahead of him for that position.
Pudney looks much stronger in the body.
Menzel (? which one) stands out with his silky smooth running and skills.
Poole's short back and sides (beard also gone) looks an even chunkier unit.
Been trying to identify some of the recruits like  Cooper Sharman and Clay Cameron but uncertain. Kobe Mutch looks around 187cm, lean quick midfielder.
Looking forward to our internal trials to see how our recruits shape up. Training at Woodville Oval at 7.30am Saturday but best for supporters to check with club for late changes.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:30 pm

Generally in the injured running group are Redden, West, Giuffreda, Haylock, Asfaha and Stephen Mills.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:37 pm

Mills was rucking in the 3 "play" drills and looked OK but nobody of note to ruck against. Our knock ruck stocks are certainly our "Achilles Heel". Redden wasn't out there, not even in the rehab group. Havelock appeared to be training with main group.
Interesting that Mishae Wollogerang was standing at the bus stop last week after training awaiting to catch a bus into the city then linking to a bus to Para Vista where he is billeted. An Eagles supporter who watched training and lived at Para Hills saw him and kindly drove him home.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:36 am

According to the Advertiser it looks like the Eagles will be training at Football Park tonight.

Also, on channel 7 last night it was mentioned the Eagles opening match of the season would be on Easter/Good Friday 2nd April at Woodville Oval, Vs Sturt, at 2.35 pm, it will be televised by channel 7.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 18 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next